How much can the brain take?

Hi All, 

So I have had a good few days. Made it back to work yesterday, despite still feeling in a low mood. 

Anyway, I woke early this AM and all the negative thought were there. I cant do this, I can't cope on my own, what is wrong with me, blah blah blah. My biggest worry today is that my brain won't be able to cope with all the stress and worry and I will never recover or get back to me ?

Can this happen? 

You'd be surprised just how much you can actually deal with and how strong you can be when you have to. I've had those worries too, that these thoughts will never stop, that I'll never be happy again, that I'll never be independent again. It's all nonsense, you absolutely will get better, it just takes time and effort. Be patient and believe in yourself, you can do this. Also, if worrying could really kill someone, I would definitely be long dead, so I don't think it's true :lol:

You can definitely beat it, you have beaten it before so you have hard evidence there, the rest is just ocd chatter, but of course I can relate in the dark moments. I read a story once of a woman’s brain collapsing in on itself due to chronic stress. That triggered me big time even though I’m pretty sure it’s not scientifically possible for a brain to collapse in on itself ?Absolute rubbish hon, the internet is full of fake stories, if we go searching for reassurance on the internet it almost always backfires. As I’ve learnt. Hang in there and keep up the fight. Well done getting back into work. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Your brain will not get destroyed but trust me anxiety really do impact your health in so many ways, stress do. I can only speak for myself but when I am having a bad period you can see it on my face, skin and everything gets well bad. 

Your priority is to overcome OCD! Good luck

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

In Am your cortisol or stress hormone is high & serotonin is low so you obsess more. Get up & exercise to reverse. 

Btw, this is not the time to begin obsessing on your thoughts, think about something else ASAP. 

When I first started to get episodes of  intrusive thoughts in my early twenties, I literally thought I was going mad. 

There was a mental hospital nearby, and I was convinced I would end up in it! 

But that didn't happen, I found out it was OCD and went about seeking treatment. 

A combination of things has really helped me over the years, including learning how to deal with panic attacks and major anxiety states. 

Awfulising and catastrophising are unwanted bedfellows in this type of sudden intrusion. The resultant anxiety will be unpleasant but, if the sufferers' thinking and behavioural responses change, so will their anxiety response :cat:

Edited by taurean