How do you start the conversation?

Hey,

So my ocd has been taunting me for most of my life and im so fed up of it and it only gets worse.

Recently its developed further and im constantly washing my hands (something i never used to do) and wont even go downstairs if i can avoid it, from the fear of getting ill or mixing with people etc.

So i thought enough is enough and i just feel like i want to talk to someone at my college about it as i am constantly anxious.

How do you take the first step? I find it so hard to talk about and ive been dealing with it for most of my life and i cant talk about it still. I just get so scared and talk myself out of it...like what if they know nothing about ocd and just think im mad? I know i should be able to, i guess im just wondering if anyone cud share there experience (only if you comfortable) or has any advice. 

Thanks i appreciate xxx 

It's very simple:

I think I have OCD and I need help.

That's all you have to say to put the ball in your counselor's court. Some questions will follow and then hopefully some help will be forthcoming.

That's really all you need to say at the start. You don't need a big explanation.

Now go do it!

If you were to contact your GP or counsellor in the first instance then writing down briefly the reasons for your belief that you have OCD can help. This preparation will also serve to clarify in your mind what you want to say.

I have used this approach and it can prove to be helpful. It was useful in talking to a newly qualified GP who had had very little experience. In the end, I passed my note to him. It greatly assisted the consultation.

If you look at the info sections of charities such as OCD then you will find information about OCD. You could write a check list and describe your OCD experiences against each item in the checklist. So if you talk to a teacher at your college or a counsellor who has limited experience of OCD then you could refer them to your source of information. However it would be a unusual situation if a counsellor had little understanding about OCD.