I have recently received a letter telling me that I need to apply for PIP. I am one of those people who are being transferred from DLA to PIP. I need to phone the DWP in order to make the initial claim. Does anybody  have any recommendations to make? I would be grateful for any advice.

Edited by Angst

Hi, there is a fantastic site called Benefits and works, you have to pay to join, but it tells you everything, it’s not expensive to join but so worth it. It really helped me and my husband. X

Hi Angst, 

I think I still have 'Benefitsandwork' membership so if I can download the PIP guide book I can PM you it. 

I would be happy to help with any of the questions/descriptors if you like? I have claimed PIP twice and so far been fortunate enough to have paper-based assessments and to not need to appeal/apply for MR but I know that's unusual and might be because I've been under a Psychologist for 7 years.

Actually just checked and I don't have membership any longer. I still have the 2014 PIP Guide, although I cannot see how to send the link in a PM. Has the forum removed the attachment feature on private messages?

Hi Belanna Don’t worry I have joined Benefits and Work. Thanks for the offer of help. 

I have just looked at the initial form on the DWP website. I was directed there by Benefits and Work.

DWP say that information provided on the DLA form can be used in your assessment. If you agree and the information held by the DWP has not been deleted or ruled to be inappropriately stored by the Data Protection Act 2018. I have tried to find out what exactly the period for which DWP or other body can retain health  information. I am unable to locate this information.Do you know? 

Hi Angst, 

That's great that you've joined. No sorry I don't know how you do that- you could ask on the Benefitsandwork forum maybe?

I would probably not opt to let the DWP just use the DLA information though because the PIP and DLA criteria are really quite different (the PIP criteria are stricter) and I know several people who have had an award of higher rates of DLA and then either had their PIP claim rejected or reduced. Ideally you want to be very specific in your PIP answers and provide lots of new medical evidence in support of each of your answers. 

Hi Belanna

Thanks for the info and reminder about DLA criteria and PIP criteria. At first glimpse the metaphor of a minefield comes to mind. What you agree to needs careful thought. Thanks be to my careful self which said - Survey the field before you take the first steps.

Hi Angst,

Yes definitely just consider everything carefully. It is a minefield and a pain in the neck but then it's well designed to stop ill people from getting the money they need to live.

24 minutes ago, seekingERPnorthwest said:

Do not call up yourself, do not attend the appointment alone. Interview is long and harrowing. Everything you do is being watched & assessed, eg. handshake = testing your hand strength.

I know you mean well SeekingERPnorthwest, and it is best not to go alone & so on, but I just wanted to add something that might make Angst less anxious about the whole thing.

Basically, I had to attend a similar thing a few years ago (not DLA or PIP), and had heard many a horror story from others that had similar. I had the option of taking someone & so on, but what I did though was filled out the form the best I could, & went it alone, but during the assessment, the doctor there felt I had been a bit economical with things, & helped me fill the form out a little bit better. :lol:

Edited by felix4

I have managed to uncover my photocopies of my DLA claim. And yes DLA is substantially different to PIP. It confirms your assessment Belanna.

On 21/06/2019 at 01:28, seekingERPnorthwest said:

Do not call up yourself, do not attend the appointment alone. Interview is long and harrowing. Everything you do is being watched & assessed, eg. handshake = testing your hand strength.

This is probably good advice but I need to find somebody trustworthy to do the call. I think that you are right that the assessors during the interview will assess things apart from your answers to questions. In fact the documentation surrounding PIP testify to this. 

On 21/06/2019 at 01:51, felix4 said:

I know you mean well SeekingERPnorthwest, and it is best not to go alone & so on, but I just wanted to add something that might make Angst less anxious about the whole thing.

Basically, I had to attend a similar thing a few years ago (not DLA or PIP), and had heard many a horror story from others that had similar. I had the option of taking someone & so on, but what I did though was filled out the form the best I could, & went it alone, but during the assessment, the doctor there felt I had been a bit economical with things, & helped me fill the form out a little bit better. :lol:

It is good that you had a good experience felix4. And thanks for the reassurance.

But I think that the weight of evidence in the context of PIP counts against it.

The cost of employing doctors would be prohibitive.

I am for transparency. The criteria and ‘scoring’ sheets of interview ‘performance’ should be published. If they exist.

Equal opportunity interviewing involves clear specification of the attributes of candidates to successfully perform the job and how these attributes are measured. More than one person monitors the evidence.

For example the fire brigade has explicit physical performance  criteria for the job and how they are measured in the selection process. It is transparent and open to inspection for all. 

The selection process in jobs  has parallels in the selection process for welfare benefits. Though of course the thresholds are at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Unfortunately it appears that many PIP assessments are based on the individual judgement of the assessor without collaborative evidence. 

I phoned to make a claim. I now think that seekingERnorthwest was correct. A person should ring for you.

The official clearly read from a script. Like people do in a call centre. And when people read from a script they talk fast. If you ask them to repeat they talk even faster.

They talk and you answer by a closed yes/no question or you have to give a brief factual response like your address.

I think, but not certain, about how they will use the DLA information. They described  how it might be used using a fast delivery and then asked a brief closed yes/no question if you consented.

The technique is similar to cross examination in a court. Though the questions are not leading but closed but sometimes delivered after a number of declarative statements. But worse than court procedures given the speed of delivery.

You are then warned about the consequences of false answers.

A text exchange would be better. Why a phone interview is used I am at loss to find a reason.Or a form could be sent instead.

Edited by Angst
  • 3 weeks later...

I not received the form for two weeks. So phoned. The DWP said that they wanted to see my passport before dealing with my claim. Is this standard? Grateful for replies.

Thanks for the confirmation. But I think if they are currently paying DLA I am surprised. Yes as they used to say under the premiership of a Prime Minister in the 1980s -  TINA - There Is No Alternative.