Feel like I'm loosing my grip on reality

Hi guys, 

Me again. I am looking for some guidance. 

I have had a really bad night, constantly waking with anxiety and mind racing, usual anxiety stuff, but what is scaring me is I keep thinking I am somewhere else, not in my own bed or my own house. It's such a horrible feeling and will linger on with me into the day now ?

I feel like I have had very little sleep and will be off for the entire day now. Could this be a side effect it zoloft, I'm only on 25mgs, but they make me feel pretty horrible (3rd week). I'm terrified to up the dose as I feel the will make me feel even worse. 

My hubby goes back to work in a week and a half and I just don't think I'll be able to cope when he goes ?

Thanks for reading. 

Deb x x x 

Hi @Deb79, sorry to hear about your troubles, that sounds like it would be very upsetting, I don't blame you for being anxious!  While 25mg is a relatively low dose of Zoloft that doesn't necessarily mean its low for you.  Unfortunately with SSRI's response can vary quite a bit from individual to individual.  Do you feel as if the symptoms you are experiencing have started or worsened since you started taking the Zoloft, or was this similar to problems you were already having?  Though some people need time to adjust if you have been taking the medication for 3 weeks now it might be worth a call to your doctors office to describe your symptoms and see what they might recommend. 

Thank you @dksea,

I'm feeling a little better as the day is going on, but will definitely speak with my doctor. 

This does happen sometimes with my anxiety and I'm not sure if I'm fully awake or lightly sleeping, but it's still scary all the same. As soon as I come too I am aware of where i am, but it's still not a nice feeling x x x

6 minutes ago, Deb79 said:

This does happen sometimes with my anxiety and I'm not sure if I'm fully awake or lightly sleeping, but it's still scary all the same. As soon as I come too I am aware of where i am, but it's still not a nice feeling x x x

I think its pretty normal to experience this phenomenon from time to time, I know I have sometimes woken up thinking in my half aware state I was in one place only to remember as my mind clears where I really am.  Sometimes the brain gets a little confused :)  But I can see how if you are dealing with stress that this sort of thing can be more upsetting.  Since you also mention being aware of where you are as you wake up I'd say its probably not a big deal, perhaps as you are adjusting to the Zoloft its messing with your sleep rhythms a bit so you are waking up at points in your sleep cycle you normally wouldn't.  Hopefully its temporary on the Zoloft or you can try another medication where you won't have the same troubles!

Yes that not knowing if you’re awake or asleep and being in a racing thoughts kind of state is very common with anxiety. Hang in there, it will pass. Acknowledge the ocd thoughts and anxiety sensations then refocus on something else if you can hun x

I don't think this experience is something to be overly worried about. It frequently happens to me, I think that your mind just gets a bit confused when you're waking up. It happens to me quite a lot when I travel or I'm staying over at someone's place. I wake up and need a few moments to remember where I am! As dksea said, it's probably just the stress and medication messing with your sleep and you're just a bit confused when you wake up. I think it's a good idea to communicate with your doctor when you're concerned about your medication, but certainly no need to panic and you're definitely not losing your grip on reality, this is quite a common experience.