Does anybody on here have any experience with OCD after a hysterectomy or the menopause?

Hi guys,

I have OCD and have recently been diagnosed with PMDD and endometriosis also. My doctor has suggested that I have a hysterectomy in order to at least fix two out of the three. What worries me is that my otherwise (somewhat) under control OCD often flares up a week before my period is due, and there is much research now that confirms fluctuating hormones have a detrimental effect on OCD. Also, I recently saw a YouTube video by IAPMD with a doctor suggesting that hysterectomies can exasperate mental health problems. I’m terrified that my OCD will worsen if I go through with this but am desperate to have some respite from the PMDD.

Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with this?

Kind Regards,

Gemma

Hi GemmaCJ :),

I am sorry you were diagnosed with PMDD and endometriosis. I would like to be more helpful and answer your question however I don't have any experience with hysterectomy or the menopause. I only have experience with OCD.

I hope you receive here helpful replies that answer your question.

One more thing: :howdy:welcome to the OCD-UK forums 

I send you a big HU:hug:

Hi Gemma, welcome to the forum. :welcome:

PMDD will improve when you stop have monthly hormone fluctuations (reach the menopause.)

If you have a hysterectomy but your ovaries are conserved it's possible you won't get full relief from the PMDD until a few years after the op when you go through a natural menopause. Some improvement may come from the relief of being without periods, but your body will still have some hormone fluctuation so you could have some residual symptoms (though they might be less severe.)

If the ovaries are removed at the same time as the womb and you are relatively young, you'll be put on oestrogen replacement therapy (HRT), In that case your hormone levels should be much more stable and your PMDD will rapidly improve. As OCD is one of your PMDD symptoms then it too should lessen.

Regarding  the You Tube video you saw, I suspect the doctor was referring to how some women suffer depression after a hysterectomy; either because they weren't ready to accept the end of their reproductive ability, or sometimes when the operation includes bilateral ovary removal - this induces an immediate menopause with severe menopausal symptoms. Of course that's treatable with HRT in most cases. 

If it was me I wouldn't hesitate to have the hysterectomy and I'd expect to see an improvement in my mental health, not fear a worsening of it. If in doubt, discuss it again with your gynaecologist or GP before deciding. Whatever you decide,  I hope it goes well for you. :) 

Thank you all so much for your replies.

Snowbear ~ I’ve had OCD for as long as I can remember, it’s there during all of the cycle only I can manage it much better and it bothers me less before ovulation. You’re right, the doc was referring to depression and such but also bipolar. This freaked me out as I thought, if bipolar can worsen perhaps OCD can also, hence subsequent obsessing ?

My going will actually be a huge exposure for me so doubly beneficial ? 

Have a great day and thanks again for support.

Hi Gemma,

It is your choice of course but personally I would go for the hysterectomy as this will greatly reduce your physical symptoms of PMDD and endometriosis.

Yes there is a chance your OCD may flare up but there is also a chance that it will improve. The way I see it is that presently you have both physical health issues caused by PMDD and endometriosis, as well as OCD on top of that. Having the hysterectomy will tackle the first two and then you will just be left with the OCD to tackle, and you will be in a much better place to try and tackle it without also having to deal with debilitating physical symptoms as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

5 hours ago, Lynz said:

Hi Gemma,

It is your choice of course but personally I would go for the hysterectomy as this will greatly reduce your physical symptoms of PMDD and endometriosis.

Yes there is a chance your OCD may flare up but there is also a chance that it will improve. The way I see it is that presently you have both physical health issues caused by PMDD and endometriosis, as well as OCD on top of that. Having the hysterectomy will tackle the first two and then you will just be left with the OCD to tackle, and you will be in a much better place to try and tackle it without also having to deal with debilitating physical symptoms as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Thank you! That has actually really put it into perspective for me, you’re completely right.