Hi everyone, I just wondered what you would think of this thought due to contamination OCD please, our new shower has broken, the fittings that hold the shower head have snapped, someone came to look at it today, but didn’t have the part with them. They are coming back tomorrow, my problem is he had to go into my shower and obviously I don’t know what or where he had been or by what he had been near. My shower now feels dirty and contaminated, plus it’s hard trying to shower one handed, holding the soap in one hand and the shower head in the other. . This hads caused tremendous panic in me. The man did take his shoes off. I just need advice please.

There is no real threat here, only the threat that your OCD'd brain is conjuring up. 

Stop listening to those intrusions, get yourself busy and refocusing away. 

Under the "rule" that OCD is trying to impose on you, all plumbers would be major contamination-spreaders. 

Can you see how ridiculous that thought is? Plumbers would, effectively, have to be controlled in a completely unworkable way. They would have to decontaminate themselves, before going to their next job, by showering or bathing in the very equipment you would deem they have contaminated! 

Should they carry around a portable steriliser for their tools?

The "rules" of OCD are designed to  restrict our daily lives and cause fear, distress and anxiety. 

When we learn to not obey those rules we will start to get better. 

Edited by taurean
3 minutes ago, taurean said:

Under the "rule" that OCD is trying to impose on you, all plumbers would be major contamination-spreaders. 

This is such a good point. And have you ever heard of a plumber spreading diseases or someone getting sick because a plumber had been round to fix their bathroom? I certainly haven’t, there is nothing to be frightened of here Madchoc ?

Thank you both hadn’t really thought about it like that just panicked. I was also thinking of them walking by dog poop. Silly I know but it feels so very real. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I think all of this is reassuranceseeking. You shouldnt trying to get an answer everytime. 

I will say, who knows. It could be contaminated

3 minutes ago, Madchoc said:

So sorry people just really needed advice. X

Why not make a note of what we have said here? 

If the OCD rears its head again, then you will know what to do without posting. 

And when you get the hang of that, you will be able to discard the note.