OCD and Dreams - struggling a bit.

Hi All,

Overnight I had a very unpleasant dream that involved my OCD theme around children, and of course waking up in the middle of the night for the loo - as a man a full bladder can sometimes lead to having an erection, at least I am hoping that was the cause :( as I woke up in middle of night needing the toilet after this dream.

I don't remember covering dreams in CBT - Am I supposed to treat a dream like and intrusive thought? and dismiss despite its content?  and the possible physical cause I expect that's all I can do as I know ruminating over it will not help!

sorry to have to post its just I am in a bit of a whirl with this one. 

Any advice is gratefully received. 

Thank you

41 minutes ago, Avo said:

I don't remember covering dreams in CBT - Am I supposed to treat a dream like and intrusive thought? and dismiss despite its content?

Yup, treat it as meaningless.  We don't control our dreams, we don't control all our thoughts, just some of them.  We control our actions and our choices.  

Mate - I have had a few ocd dreams in past but so glad you posted today as I had the overload last night. I have spiralled last few days and obsessed as ever about underage girls and had a dream where I was looking for someone and came across some girl who wanted sex and I asked how old and she said 15 then 14. I then had this desire to just do it and it got graphic to the extent I really liked it and treated her like some prostitute.  Mate - I have been feeling sick all day since. It is completely against my morals and desire. it is like my ocd said 'yeah - you want it - always have - do it - give in.' But the thing is I know (and pray) that if you think like us the moment you put something there we are already going 'sex' 'attractive' 'horny' as we try so hard NOT to feel all that. Same in daytime - I see a glimpse of anyone on TV 'trying' to look attractive and underage I immediately think of 'sex' and get arousal and begin the cycle of disproving any such 'sick' thoughts before I have even assessed what I actually think. So same must go for dreams, or nightmares in this case. I guess I am hoping that for me at least, my dream represented me 'accepting' who I am and giving in to my secret desire (fear) and my brain just went 'sex/sex/sex' etc. I don't know about anyone else but I know that I can see someone say 13/14 and not think anything but get myself in a corner of being 'attracted' by trying to prove I don't like them. Like I am testing self. Then you end up doing it all the time and suddenly the 10yr old has a sexy body where before not. I have found over the decades of having OCD it is quite easy to end up breaking down your natural instinct on things the longer the theme of obsession goes on.  For example, I used to cringe at thought of sex with say a 13rd old and these days I don't cringe but sometimes find me automatically think 'sexy body' or something - like I have spent so much time testing self by placing attraction on people to understand myself and then remove it to normalise it my brain just goes - girl - attraction - prove wrong pervert.

I am rambling now but I guess I am reaching out to say it is your ocd mate. Always - and it will royally f you up where it can. Oh and I woke pumping the mattress so yep - all in is totally norm.

Edited by njb
8 hours ago, dksea said:

Yup, treat it as meaningless.  We don't control our dreams, we don't control all our thoughts, just some of them.  We control our actions and our choices.  

Hi dksea thanks for your reply I suppose we can't control our dreams as you rightly say. Its difficult to avoid going down that ruminating path. 

4 hours ago, Gemma7 said:

I agree with dksea, the dream is just meaningless nonsense your brain pumped out. 

And the erection is just a coincedence that there is a logical cause for, so again dismiss it. 

Hi Gemma,

Thanks for your response I am trying not to get too caught up in my ruminating. 

- how are you doing? I have not seen you on the boards for a little while. 

2 hours ago, njb said:

Mate - I have had a few ocd dreams in past but so glad you posted today as I had the overload last night. I have spiralled last few days and obsessed as ever about underage girls and had a dream where I was looking for someone and came across some girl who wanted sex and I asked how old and she said 15 then 14. I then had this desire to just do it and it got graphic to the extent I really liked it and treated her like some prostitute.  Mate - I have been feeling sick all day since. It is completely against my morals and desire. it is like my ocd said 'yeah - you want it - always have - do it - give in.' But the thing is I know (and pray) that if you think like us the moment you put something there we are already going 'sex' 'attractive' 'horny' as we try so hard NOT to feel all that. Same in daytime - I see a glimpse of anyone on TV 'trying' to look attractive and underage I immediately think of 'sex' and get arousal and begin the cycle of disproving any such 'sick' thoughts before I have even assessed what I actually think. So same must go for dreams, or nightmares in this case. I guess I am hoping that for me at least, my dream represented me 'accepting' who I am and giving in to my secret desire (fear) and my brain just went 'sex/sex/sex' etc. I don't know about anyone else but I know that I can see someone say 13/14 and not think anything but get myself in a corner of being 'attracted' by trying to prove I don't like them. Like I am testing self. Then you end up doing it all the time and suddenly the 10yr old has a sexy body where before not. I have found over the decades of having OCD it is quite easy to end up breaking down your natural instinct on things the longer the theme of obsession goes on.  For example, I used to cringe at thought of sex with say a 13rd old and these days I don't cringe but sometimes find me automatically think 'sexy body' or something - like I have spent so much time testing self by placing attraction on people to understand myself and then remove it to normalise it my brain just goes - girl - attraction - prove wrong pervert.

I am rambling now but I guess I am reaching out to say it is your ocd mate. Always - and it will royally f you up where it can. Oh and I woke pumping the mattress so yep - all in is totally norm.

Hi njb

Thanks for your response - its just so easy to get drawn into the spiral of obsessing over things - so many triggers on TV the internet and real life. I have been slipping of late with compulsions, I worry if I see someone -a woman I find attractive I worry if incase I am not realising they are actually a child!? I have taken to reassurance seeking and checking via the internet to check they are indeed an adult which I know is a massive compulsion!  that's one of many examples of compulsions I have / sometimes still do. 

OCD is such a cruel disorder. 

Thanks for your response - hope your doing a bit better?

Hey Avo,

I hear you and I know the pain involved when you find out the person is not an adult and that leads to more compulsion to research etc etc etc until you get to an OK place after ruminating endlessly or you find some image or something that shows the person is 'attractive but you are not attracted to' or something showing them without make up and older clothing and you think 'aha, that is the real person' and then you still obsess over how you felt initially because you feel you ought know the person was underage even if they were trying and succeeding to all intents to look over age. It is a conundrum and you never really win, especially where the person is not of an appropriate age.

Try mate - it is all we can do - i know i have had OCD since 8 so nearly 40 years now. I spent a LONG time worrying over being a paedophile then it kind of morphed into underage which has been dominant for a good 5 years now.

I guess if it didn't feel like we liked it there would be no ocd grip and actually liking something DEF does not feel this soul destroying so there is always that.

None of you are pedofiles you just suffer badly with ocd but thank you for sharing !! Even thou I am not suffering with this theme at the moment !!!and I have for years I admire your bravery for your honesty as I know how hard this particular theme is !! As much as I hate any one else to suffer it’s also reassuring to know we’re not alone !!