??????? Why??????

Hi everyone, hope you’re having a good day today, I have found myself in a nightmare, our neighbors kindly stored some items in his shed for us. These items were out of our car boot that were contaminated to me. I had parked in my daughters street when it was raining and went past dog poop. My worst nightmare ever. Our car was taken off us, due to my husbands benefits being stopped, ( he has since won an appeal hope to have a car again in October), for some reason the neighbors came around today with said items , !!!!!!!!!!! My husband went to the front door so to me he is now contaminated. Oh my god I’m really panicked now, this is my ultimate exposure therapy to deal with. I have got to shower yet, but am really scared of going by my husband now. Sorry but I’ve had to vent and I know people will understand on this forum. Thank you for reading this, xxx Take care everyone. X

Hi MadChoc,

I'm really sorry you're struggling- I'm in a similar panic about a contamination worry at the moment. OCD really sucks!!

I know we're not supposed to offer reassurance but as your distress must be at a 10/10 at the moment I am going to:

1. As far as dog poo goes, it actually would take swallowing a small amount (1/2 teaspoon) of visible dog poo to make you sick with any of the coliform bacteria in it.

2. I have a dog and she gets diarrhoea all the time- I wear gloves to mop her up (she has long fur on her legs and tail) but she always has some coliform (faecal/poo) bacteria on her because she has diarrhoea so frequently. I kiss her head, rub my eyes after patting her legs etc. and I do not get sick from this. 

3. Also the majority of harmful strains of bacteria that exist in dog poo (campylobacter, salmonella etc.) actually die in 6 hours so if your friend has been storing these items for a while then they are no longer contamination BUT even if you had handled them back at the time then provided you washed your hands you would be ok too! 

Edited by BelAnna

Hi you two.

just replying to say please stay strong. I know your brain is screaming it’s all real but it’s ocd. So clear to me. 

It is completely irrational to believe your husband is contaminated because he touched items that were in a car that drove past dog poop some time ago. OCD is always irrational.

Leave it alone and get on with your day. Watch out for compulsions and resist them as best you can.

I hear ya Madchoc! There was a time when I would have been exactly the same and your particular scenario would have sent me into a real tailspin.

It wouldn't now.

Ignore, ignore, ignore. 

Go do something else, stay busy, ignore the anxiety - it will fade. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I will take another route. One you ultimately habe to try yourself: maybe it is contaminated. You can't never ever truly know. Does it matter? I mean it wasn't cyanide.