Compassion for other users

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Personally I will probably never understand if I have done enough. I don't really believe in free will so it very quickly becomes very strange. But I do think that the sufferer have full responsibility, and that is a good thing, because if  you wouldn't, CBT would successful of a mere chance. I know some people find all of this offensive.

One thing OCD have proved for me is that there are OCD-opionions and then there are the real opinions of a person. And this can make a sufferer feeling really weird sometimes.

Good luck everyone and please do not let the OCD win.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

‘I don’t really believe in free will’ : ‘But I do think that the sufferer have full responsibility’? This is a contradiction. What is the purpose of this post in this thread about compassion?

17 hours ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

I am very happy that there has been a shift towards greater empathy and recognising that other conditions and circumstances affect sufferers ability to recover from OCD. I have been upset in the past by some users being told that they aren't trying hard enough.

I wouldn't say there's been a shift. Sometimes we have all been guilty of treading water and letting others keep inflating the life jacket with reassurance, rather than trying to swim to OCD safety ourselves, even if that sometimes leads to us needing a lifejacket throwing, that's ok to struggle, if we're at least trying to swim to safety on our own.   Sometimes we lose sight of that and need it pointing out.  I don't think that will change, we're a forum that is recovery focussed, not for reassurance. 

But the purpose of the thread is more about users not assuming motives for other users posts. But also rather than telling a person they need to swim more, which is too blunt and not always helpful if the person knows that, actually trying to help them understand why they need to swim more on their own and offering ideas on how they can learn to swim against the tide.

* Disclaimer: This post is not really about swimming. :D 

16 hours ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

I don't really believe in free will so it very quickly becomes very strange. But I do think that the sufferer have full responsibility, and that is a good thing, because if  you wouldn't, CBT would successful of a mere chance. I know some people find all of this offensive.

I might find it offensive, but if I am honest I have no idea what you're talking about?

8 minutes ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

I didn't mean to imply that there haven't always been many very compassionate and empathetic people on this forum.

Don't worry, even the most well-meaning of people need a reminder to not forget the compassion sometimes :)

• Ashley unpinned this topic

I see one of my moderators had to remove a couple of posts earlier today... I had hoped this thread had served its purpose, but clearly this piece of advice from my original post still needs practice :) 

If, you don't have anything practical and helpful to say to a user, don't reply....  If you're frustrated at a users inability to take on the advice being offered, count to 10 and don't reply.... it really is that simple.  No reply is better than a unhelpful or judgemental reply. 

• 1 month later...