• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a quick look at the leaflet with my fluoxetine, these symptoms do seem to be on there. In terms of how long into your course these take effect - its not very clear on this. I can't with all certainty advise on that part of it., I know people are different. I didn't get all my side effects immediately and some went before others also. 

Just thinking - do you think its possible these are part of your caffeine withdrawal? 

12 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I think I am experiencing some side effects now. I am getting tremors in my hands and also feel a bit strange and twitchy, with restless legs and not great sleep. Is it normal for side effects to only set in after a couple of weeks? 

At the risk of giving you a little reassurance, yes I've definitely experienced those side effects on both Fluoxetine and Escitalopram, mostly the restless leg thing and if I take the medicine before bed I sometimes have trouble sleeping.  I've had occasional muscle twitches too, it spooked me a little at first, but my doctor explained that its fairly normal as far as side effects go for SSRIs because of how they work.  For the sleeping thing I started taking my meds in the morning instead and my sleep improved, I haven't noticed any extra drowsiness during the day but your mileage may vary.  I think you are making the right choice to just ride it out for now, good luck!

Thanks dksea. I thought I'd been lucky and avoided the side effects as I had none for a couple of weeks. Oh well!

I already take it first thing in the morning but I am still experiencing insomnia which is v unusual for me. I get to sleep fine but then wake in the middle of the night. 

Did you find the side effects went away with time? 

2 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

Thanks dksea. I thought I'd been lucky and avoided the side effects as I had none for a couple of weeks. Oh well!

I already take it first thing in the morning but I am still experiencing insomnia which is v unusual for me. I get to sleep fine but then wake in the middle of the night. 

Did you find the side effects went away with time? 

Maybe switching to evening would help as far as sleep goes then?

I still do the restless leg/leg twitch thing from time to time, less so on Escitalopram than when I was on Fluoxetine.  The other muscle twitching was only an issue for a short time about a year ago, after years of never having that particular side effect, so not sure what to make of that one, but yeah that one went away.

Hi GBG,

Sorry to hear that you're still struggling, OCD sucks- but it's great that you've taken a big positive step and asked for some help/support. I was on Fluoxetine between January 2011 to the end of 2013. At 20mg I was fairly side-effect free. It went up to 40mg, some time in 2012- then it started to affect my sleep mainly. In 2013 I dropped back to 20mg and then came off them thinking I was "out of the woods"- six months later (July 2014) my OCD got out of control, big time (I think you know about my time in hospital)- I attribute this mainly to the lack of good therapy rather than it solely being about the meds. During my stay in hospital they ramped it up to 80mg (Fluoxetine as well as some Respiridone) which affected my sleep again (it's pretty much all the psychiatrist could think of doing while I was waiting for a higher level of therapy).

I take Clomipramine now, after a second hospital stay and complete re-review at the end of 2014.

My advice, don't give up on it yet- you may not even be at the therapeutic dose yet. This said, therapy in parallel with some medication was the answer for me. I'm not fixed but I'm a lot better a defending myself these days.

Hope you feel better soon. Take care,

Binx

Hi binx

Nice to hear from you - I'm glad you're doing so much better although sorry you're not totally out of the woods yet. Hang in there! 

I hear what you're saying. The insomnia thing spooks me because I've always been very fortunate with my sleep, in that sleep has almost always come easily, and knowing that has been a great comfort in bad times (knowing I will get away from it during the night).  I am loathed to lose that as I know i am very lucky with it!

I will think it over today. I have recently given up caffeine which has had a very positive effect on my mental health and I'm tempted to come off the meds and see if those positives are enough. I think it's not too late to come off them now without too many problems as I'm on a low dose and only been taking it a couple of weeks. 

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question - has anyone experienced a temporary worsening of ocd after changing dose? I went from 20mg to 40mg just less than a week ago and I've felt worse the last few days after getting considerably better. Obviously could be unrelated but thought I'd ask. 

Edited by gingerbreadgirl

Hi gbg

I followed a similar path going from 20 to 40 mg daily, which remains my current dosage. Can't honestly remember mood wise as I was in a bit if a bad way at the time struggling with OCD and various other things quite up and down really. I don't remember any of my initial side effects returning when I upped the dose though.

I am guessing but it could just be coincidence , you said you didn't really have any side effects when you initially started on the medication ? 

First, sorry that you hit a bit of a rough patch. That can be particular frustrating after seeing improvement. 

It’s probably too early to real draw any definitive connection at this point. It might take time to really kick in at 40mg anyway, so it could be unrelated and with limited information (only a week) it could just be normal OCD fluctuations at play. Probably best to take a wait and see approach so long as things don’t get real bad. 

Hang in there!

Can I ask, anyone who has taken fluoxetine, how long did it take the insomnia to wear off?

I am otherwise having a good experience with it, but my sleep is absolutely abysmal, I am hardly sleeping at all and it is becoming really difficult as I'm so sleepy in the day! just hoping it is temporary!