Hi all,

I think it would be useful to sort the ocd sufferers into two big categories, the ones without and the ones with medication treatment. I belong to the second category so my symptoms have been differentiated since I got medication, e.g. I don't have any panic attacks but I have drowsiness - which I didn't have before. I don't have many compulsions but I have much more of confusion. And many more...

Any comments on this?

Regards

Personally, I don't think we should differentiate. We often ask if meds are in play but the fixative for OCD is still CBT, whether you are taking meds or not.

Edited by PolarBear

If we have found the need for, and benefited from, meds - then why try to differentiate? 

I was desperate, and agonised before trying meds - then had setbacks with really bad diarrhoea as a side effect. But kept trying meds till I found benefit from, and overcame the side effects of, Citalopram. 

For some CBT will prove enough, for others meds bring benefit. 

But from my own research, meds don't bring benefit to about 40% of OCD sufferers anyway. They are worthwhile because of the 60% who do find them beneficial. 

First of all I would like to thank you all for your answers. 

Of course I have been benefited from the meds, but I was at a different stage of my life when I started them (doctor's decision)

I am alone now in London without therapist and I meet my old CBT therapist in Greece twice a year. 

I think that when one is into meds he/she is a much different incident of obsessive thinker, having to fight with different symptoms, that was my point

In my point of view when you are already into meds you mustn't stop aiming to decrease or quit them, ok they help a lot, 

Is there a way out?

Regards

15 hours ago, diomedes said:

In my point of view when you are already into meds you mustn't stop aiming to decrease or quit them, ok they help a lot, 

Is there a way out?

Some people who take medication for OCD do so long term / forever.
But some people only take them temporarily.
The best approach depends on each individual and their situation.
Some people find that with the help of CBT they can come off medication and manage their OCD without it.
Other people stop taking medication because the side effects are too strong.
Still others (like me) find the benefit from OCD is big and the side effects are minimal so we continue to use them.
If you want to try and come off medication you can do so, you should make a plan and work with your therapist.  

15 hours ago, diomedes said:

I think that when one is into meds he/she is a much different incident of obsessive thinker, having to fight with different symptoms, that was my point

While some people experience additional side effects when taking medication (for OCD or anything really) that doesn't change the underlying problem of OCD.  CBT is still effective for people who take medication for OCD, you can still adjust your thinking and behavior using CBT with medication.  I don't see how separating people on the forums just because they take medication or not would provide much benefit, we can address those questions and situations on an individual basis when working with each poster.

On 08/07/2019 at 07:24, dksea said:

.  I don't see how separating people on the forums just because they take medication or not would provide much benefit, we can address those questions and situations on an individual basis when working with each poster.

I didn't literally mean this, I just wanted to highlight that after taking medication someone become a different incident when it comes to symptoms. 

4 hours ago, diomedes said:

I didn't literally mean this, I just wanted to highlight that after taking medication someone become a different incident when it comes to symptoms. 

I don't think this is universally true.  While they may have side effects from the medication, OCD remains OCD.  Medication can help ease the severity but it doesn't change how OCD works.  CBT is the same regardless of whether you are taking medication or not.  

On 12/07/2019 at 02:01, dksea said:

I don't think this is universally true.  While they may have side effects from the medication, OCD remains OCD.  Medication can help ease the severity but it doesn't change how OCD works.  CBT is the same regardless of whether you are taking medication or not.  

Of course even if you are into medication you still have the same problem, this is universally true. But after the medication you have to cope with e.g drowsiness and not with panic attacks. 

7 hours ago, diomedes said:

Of course even if you are into medication you still have the same problem, this is universally true. But after the medication you have to cope with e.g drowsiness and not with panic attacks. 

That may be true, it may not be true. Each persons side effects and symptoms vary. But OCD is OCD, CBT applies the same to people who are or aren’t on medication. 

14 hours ago, dksea said:

That may be true, it may not be true. Each persons side effects and symptoms vary. But OCD is OCD, CBT applies the same to people who are or aren’t on medication. 

of course it does, no doubt about that