Saying goodbye

Hello all you lovely forum users, I just wanted to say that I'm going to leave the forum, at least for the foreseeable future anyway.

I'm finding that I no longer need help from the forum, and I don't feel I want to stay to help others because my knowledge of CBT therapy is not very good and I don't want to confuse people with my ramblings! 

However, I didn't want to disappear without thanking people so....

thank you everyone at the charity and the regular forum posters for your tireless work, your dedication and compassion and I wish everyone good luck in their continued recovery, or journey towards recovery. Best wishes w

Really sorry to hear you're going wren although it is great you're at a point where you no longer need help :) 

I think you give loads of value to the forum! I've really got a lot from your posts and it is really good to hear a non -cbt line of thought from time to time :) 

Best of luck whatever you decide and maybe we'll speak again. 

All the best 

Gbg x 

It’s great you are at a point you no longer feel the need to be part of the forum, but it would be nice to hear from you from time to time and keep us posted on your recovery. 

Wishing you all the best in everything you do

Take care of yourself, lost x 

That's brilliant that you're doing so much better. 

You've definitely offered lots of helpful advice so don't think that not always taking a CBT stance is a problem! 

I hope things just keep getting better for you! 

:) 

Hi @Wren, its great to hear you are doing well!  I think its perfectly normal to reach the point where you step away from the forums, so whether its temporary or permanent I wish you the best of luck and happiness going forward.

That said, I do want to say that I don't think you need to be an expert in CBT (I'm not!) or anything to have something to contribute!  Different perspectives, a kind word here or there, your own personal experience, those all have value too.  So if your reason for stepping away is because you think you can't add value, then I hope you'll reconsider, I think you do add!   Of course its also 100% ok to move on if thats where you want to focus your time and efforts, life involves change after all.  So again, wishing you well for the future, wherever your journey takes you!

Ta da! Back already! Just kidding, but I felt it rude not to rely. Thanks for your kind words everyone.

Right now I'm quite confused about my recovery if I'm honest, because I'm not sure what it was that helped me, so as a result I'm finding it quite hard to help others! I know that must sound quite strange, but I was treated at an nhs centre which I think must be using the PTM framework, or at least influenced by it, because I was told that they didn't believe in diagnosis's and I shouldn't think of myself as having ocd, and I was offered talking therapy, as well as CBT, for obsessive thoughts and low self worth. At the time I was annoyed by this because I wanted clear answers and a diagnosis, but now I can see the value in what they were saying more - and I don't take a non-critical view of CBT - but I'm still confused and I don't want to spread my confusion! All I know is I feel better, and I want to get on with life, and maybe in time I will be able to pull out some kind of narrative about my experience so I can share it with others, but I'm not able to do that at the moment. Wx 

Interesting comment about PTM. I do not think that you spread confusion and I think your openmindedness benefits the forum. I think your experiences reflect the lived reality of many many people receiving psychiatric care and as such your experiences are especially valid. 

Thanks Angst. I should say I'm being presumptuous about the PTM Framework being used by the NHS. I've no idea if they are actually using it, it's just a guess I made based on the fact that everyone at the centre were repeatedly insistent that I shouldn't be given a diagnostic label because the categories are so subjective. 

I may come back to the forum later when I feel a bit more collected, but I'm also looking forward to having some time where talking about mental health issues doesn't takes up such a large portion of my mind space! 

Thought I would just mention that, although I spend some time on the forums, seeking to help others, most days, in between sign-ons I only think about mental health issues if I am helping a person face to face. 

Clearly this is a good place to have reached, and shows that we have the ability to do that, since I don't think I have any especial mental strength or ability. 

That's really good Taurean, I hope I can get to that place too. At the moment I still think about the general topic of mental health issues a lot and find it difficult to switch off those thoughts after I visit the forum. 

19 hours ago, Wren said:

All I know is I feel better, and I want to get on with life, and maybe in time I will be able to pull out some kind of narrative about my experience so I can share it with others, but I'm not able to do that at the moment.

That sounds perfectly reasonable, and I definitely understand!  Take the time to enjoy your life, you've earned it!!