I dont think im ever going to truly get better

Even posting this is technically a ritual, ok so does anyone have it where, you do a ritual and it obviously leads your further down a maze, of oh another spike and you think whatever you feaer is more likely true or happened now because you just thought about it more, and somehow because you thought about it willingly even though it was a ritual now you worry you could have acted on it subconsciously or soemthing, it just gets me into more trouble but its hard to turn the tap off once u start because u feel u have actually messed things up now any input on this

My gosh if I had a penny for every time this as happened I'd be pretty rich by now. I think this happens to us all it's a viscous cycle the more we think about it  the worse it becomes and then we think some more and more and each time it just gets worse and worse. It's because we give that first initial doubt importance, the more importance we place on it the harder it gets and the more rituals/ compulsions we do, sadly adding to our sheer despair. I know how difficult it is to just switch off, if only it was so easy :( but what you can do initially is to start off by delaying your responses to it and just think I'm not doing this right now I will think about it later and each time delaying it a little bit more. 

Hope this helps you a little :)

Humbleno1, regards the title of your thread - you can absolutely get better as can others. Recovering issuper hard, exhausting and an up and down rollercoaster ride, but if you stick at it you can recover. I had it severe for years. But now life is great. Educate yourself as much as possible. I read a zillion pieces of literature. Then put what you learnt (the good advice) into practice .It's easier said than done, but worth it.

13 hours ago, Handy said:

I just think about something else. We choose what to think about do we not?

No Handy. 

That's the problem with OCD, we can't let go of the thoughts and they bombard us.  It's more complicated than that when you add emotions and interpretations into the mix.  But ultimately we can't always choose what thoughts pop into our head.

Often intrusive thoughts will pop into our head which are pleasant and nice so we usually smile and move on very quickly.  But if the thought is a little more anxiety provoking we fixate and start to ask ourselves why we had that thought and at that point, BOOM, a deluge of questions and thoughts appear against our will. 

Think of the pink elephant (sometimes people do it with a pink bunny rabbit). 

pinkele.png

Get that pink elephant in your mind, focus on it for 60 seconds.    Now when we ask people to wipe that image from their mind, insist they do not think about the pink elephant most people suddenly start seeing the pink elephant in their thoughts. 

So, if somebody can suddenly switch their thoughts away I would suggest they don't have OCD.  Do you have a formal diagnosis of OCD yourself Handy?

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Technically Handy is right.

And just because a fire is hot and we feel all kinds of things when we run through it, that doesn't mean it isn't the only way out. Yes we have wasted our lives, there are no ways to sugarcoat, don't be mad at things around it be mad at OCD.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
14 hours ago, Handy said:

I just think about something else. We choose what to think about do we not?

I find it interesting that you say this so casually as if it's the easiest thing in the world (I "just" think about something else). Do you really have ocd handy? 

1 hour ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Technically Handy is right.

And just because a fire is hot and we feel all kinds of things when we run through it, that doesn't mean it isn't the only way out. Yes we have wasted our lives, there are no ways to sugarcoat, don't be mad at things around it be mad at OCD.

No he's not. 

Again, with the second part of your post I am not actually clear what you are trying to say? 

Guest OCDhavenobrain
4 hours ago, Ashley said:

No he's not. 

Again, with the second part of your post I am not actually clear what you are trying to say? 

If you truly believe you can't change your focus all CBT is a dead end. Handy meant that you are responsible of where you have your focus, I totally agree. 

In a deeper sense all of this is untrue because if there is no free will it doesn't matter but in a clinical perspective this is not useful and it is a philosophical question, sorry that I always am trying to get my opinions out there, often in a very hasty manner. 

I seriously think that we all are investing way to much emotions into CBT and different methods. It is a way to make people with OCD overcome OCD, there are no values in CBT. 

1. Overcomming OCD is incredible simple. 

2.People with OCD is overcomplicating things, that is the disorder. 

step 1 will feel incredible hard because of 2.

Edit: I am sorry that this is how it is because it mean that we are getting a skill (doing compulsions) which actually are useless, but that is the OCD and there is only the OCD which should be a reason of anger.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
Guest OCDhavenobrain

Personal values, it is a method people. Do not get to emotional engaged. I often see this happening, it applies to everything, from the law to personal preferences about what brand you like the most. 

I would actually like to say that I myself had therapy obsession for years, I was obsessed about overcomming OCD. I think TOCD already is taken though. :57439eb60db27_thumbup:

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
42 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Personal values, it is a method people. Do not get to emotional engaged. I often see this happening, it applies to everything, from the law to personal preferences about what brand you like the most. 

I would actually like to say that I myself had therapy obsession for years, I was obsessed about overcomming OCD. I think TOCD already is taken though. :57439eb60db27_thumbup:

I find it increasing difficult to follow your posts.

I cannot follow the logic of personal values to method to law to brands.

Brand management - a known brand will achieve  a price premium over a generic product. This is found for  example where branded pain killers cost more than generic pain killers this will increase profits  despite packaging and advertising costs. What is the connection  between brands and personal  values? Let alone OCD?

More importantly how does this relate to the thread of the thread?

Edited by Angst
1 hour ago, Angst said:

I find it increasing difficult to follow your posts.

I thought likewise with the content of the original post, so focused on the topic title "I dont think I'm ever going to truly get better", which I suspect others may have done too.

The title reminded me in some ways of the saying, "if you think you can, or you think you can't – you're right", and I feel it relevant to what OCDhavenobrain has been saying.  

2 hours ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

If you truly believe you can't change your focus all CBT is a dead end. 

Edited by felix4
2 hours ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

If you truly believe you can't change your focus all CBT is a dead end. Handy meant that you are responsible of where you have your focus, I totally agree. 

In a deeper sense all of this is untrue because if there is no free will it doesn't matter but in a clinical perspective this is not useful and it is a philosophical question, sorry that I always am trying to get my opinions out there, often in a very hasty manner. 

I seriously think that we all are investing way to much emotions into CBT and different methods. It is a way to make people with OCD overcome OCD, there are no values in CBT. 

1. Overcomming OCD is incredible simple. 

2.People with OCD is overcomplicating things, that is the disorder. 

step 1 will feel incredible hard because of 2.

Edit: I am sorry that this is how it is because it mean that we are getting a skill (doing compulsions) which actually are useless, but that is the OCD and there is only the OCD which should be a reason of anger.

Hi felix

You quote from different posts at different stages of the debate. So I quote from a post which I did not reply to but which you do. 

The first paragraph states you are ‘responsible of where you have focus’. I think in this thread Ashley deals with this. If you are able to or have responsibility of where you focus then it invalidates the diagnosis of OCD. O stands for obsession where the sufferer is obsessed . My CBT therapy taught me that I can change focus. This my friend is the point of CBT.

Guest OCDhavenobrain
3 hours ago, felix4 said:

I thought likewise with the content of the original post, so focused on the topic title "I dont think I'm ever going to truly get better", which I suspect others may have done too.

The title reminded me in some ways of the saying, "if you think you can, or you think you can't – you're right", and I feel it relevant to what OCDhavenobrain has been saying.  

Yes, I am sorry for the face that I don't write long enough so people can understand me, it is just that I have no time at the moment. 

Please take care everybody.

Yes, I am sorry for the face that I don't write long enough so people can understand me, it is just that I have no time at the moment. 

Please take care everybody.

No need to apologise mate!

I just think some have replied to the thread title, and others replied to the content of the original post, which resulted in some confusion, and as a result a misunderstanding has arisen.

:)