Hi.

I went to a funeral the other day and it's triggered me bad. I need some advice if possible.

I get really scared because I get thoughts like: If I don't do something, then something will happen, but both of these somethings are bad. Is it possible to have two obsessions rather than a compulsion and obsession, but obviously not acting on any of these obsessions? I feel like I have a normal compulsion I can do but I know this makes it worse, so it's like two obsessions, maybe one compulsion.

I also get thoughts that are like, if you don't do this, then the thought will be with you for the rest of your life, and that is how the thought manages to grab me because I don't want it there all the time. Has anyone had any similar experiences? I hope it's still OCD but I get so anxious.

Thanks.

Hi you can get more than one theme of obsession. Intrusive thoughts and obsessions can latch on to any subject any thought that causes you fear and feels like a threat. You treat all intrusive thoughts as ocd and resist the urge to listen thoughts and doubts. Then resist the compulsions which can be over analysising disecting reassurance seeking rumminating confessing and refocus you energy. Keep doing this until it lifts and weakens. Hope this helps a little .?

1 hour ago, Ashley123 said:

If I don't do something, then something will happen

Hi Ashley

This isn't two obsessions it's just one, it's similar to if i don't wash my hands then I'll get ill or if i don't check the door is locked then someone will break in. The difference here is that it sounds like magical thinking. This is when there is no logical connection between obsession and compulsion, like if you had to flick a switch to keep your family safe for example. 

1 hour ago, Ashley123 said:

I also get thoughts that are like, if you don't do this, then the thought will be with you for the rest of your life, and that is how the thought manages to grab me because I don't want it there all the time.

This is also very common for sufferers to fear they may never get rid of a thought or they might never stop worrying about something. This is just the games OCD plays to stick around. Therapy is all about understanding why these thoughts are important to you and challenging them through behavioural experiments. 

Are you having therapy at the moment? 

16 minutes ago, angels said:

Hi you can get more than one theme of obsession. Intrusive thoughts and obsessions can latch on to any subject any thought that causes you fear and feels like a threat. You treat all intrusive thoughts as ocd and resist the urge to listen thoughts and doubts. Then resist the compulsions which can be over analysising disecting reassurance seeking rumminating confessing and refocus you energy. Keep doing this until it lifts and weakens. Hope this helps a little .?

Hi angels.

Ok, thank you. I seem to get lots of different thoughts and themes throughout the day, it is draining. It helps a lot. I appreciate it. :) 

16 minutes ago, Gemma7 said:

Hi Ashley

This isn't two obsessions it's just one, it's similar to if i don't wash my hands then I'll get ill or if i don't check the door is locked then someone will break in. The difference here is that it sounds like magical thinking. This is when there is no logical connection between obsession and compulsion, like if you had to flick a switch to keep your family safe for example. 

This is also very common for sufferers to fear they may never get rid of a thought or they might never stop worrying about something. This is just the games OCD plays to stick around. Therapy is all about understanding why these thoughts are important to you and challenging them through behavioural experiments. 

Are you having therapy at the moment? 

Hi Gemma,

I didn't explain it well because I don't want to trigger myself too much as I'm not a fan of putting my thoughts out on forums too much as they are so scary to me. But this is what I mean:

Typically you have a compulsion to prevent an obsession/intrusive thought (of any content), right? And you shouldn't do the compulsion.

Well, I have a thought that consists of an intrusive thought as the compulsion and another intrusive thought to go with it, then I have a 'normal' compulsion underlying it. But I don't want to do the compulsion OR any intrusive thoughts...

And I worry that if I don't do the compulsion, then one or both obsessions come true on a certain day etc. and will last forever or I will eventually be 'forced' to do one which I hope isn't true. But it's good to know that it's very common about the fear is normal.

It also targets what I fear the most, it's horrible.

I've had CBT in the past and I'm trying to use techniques but it's grabbed me bad lately.

4 minutes ago, Ashley123 said:

Well, I have a thought that consists of an intrusive thought as the compulsion and another intrusive thought to go with it, then I have a 'normal' compulsion underlying it. But I don't want to do the compulsion OR any intrusive thoughts...

You need to treat the initial thing like an obsession because that's what it is, even if it includes an action/doing part. 

I also recommend looking into more CBT and highly recommend the self-help book Break free from OCD as a start back in to therapy. All these thoughts you are having are not important, they only feel important. OCD is lying when it says you might feel a certain way forever or think a certain thing forever. Compulsions merely make the way you feel and the thoughts you have more likely to occur. With good therapy you will see this for yourself :)

4 minutes ago, Gemma7 said:

You need to treat the initial thing like an obsession because that's what it is, even if it includes an action/doing part. 

I also recommend looking into more CBT and highly recommend the self-help book Break free from OCD as a start back in to therapy. All these thoughts you are having are not important, they only feel important. OCD is lying when it says you might feel a certain way forever or think a certain thing forever. Compulsions merely make the way you feel and the thoughts you have more likely to occur. With good therapy you will see this for yourself :)

Okay, so literally an obsession could be a worry of acting on something otherwise something else bad might happen? it just scared me as a compulsion is usually like something tame you know haha, but obviously I don't want to act on anything like this!

And actually I've just finished reading that! It's a very good book and I have it to hand. I'm just going through grief at the moment so I guess my OCD has flared up.

Thank you Gemma. I guess this is reassurance but sometimes I need it just to make good progress again.

16 minutes ago, Ashley123 said:

Okay, so literally an obsession could be a worry of acting on something otherwise something else bad might happen?

Yes, it's just an intrusive thought. 

17 minutes ago, Ashley123 said:

I'm just going through grief at the moment so I guess my OCD has flared up.

Thank you Gemma. I guess this is reassurance but sometimes I need it just to make good progress again.

Unfortunately OCD is hard to deal with at the best of times so it can't be easy. So sorry for your loss. Don't be too hard on yourself, give yourself time to grieve and in time you'll feel more able to fight :)

10 hours ago, Gemma7 said:

Yes, it's just an intrusive thought. 

Unfortunately OCD is hard to deal with at the best of times so it can't be easy. So sorry for your loss. Don't be too hard on yourself, give yourself time to grieve and in time you'll feel more able to fight :)

Thank you Gemma I appreciate it.