Scaffolding and OCD

Scaffolding is due to be erected at the front elevation of the property where I live which is divided into four flats. The scaffolding is scheduled tomorrow morning. Two of the flats are rented  out and two are owner occupied. I proposed to my three other co-owners that we  either  strategically park vehicles or demarcate bins on the road by the  kerb to facilitate the parking of the scaffolding truck. The road is a busy one.

I received no reply. This morning I have started regularly checking the road to see if there is space to earmark space for the scaffolding lorry. I have no vehicles so it has to be the bins.

I think this case perfectly illustrates the plight of with OCD and other anxiety conditions. I imagine that the scaffolding will not be erected. We lose £1000. And the repair to the  property will not take place. The property becomes unsaleable and I am trapped here until death.

We project into the future and make plans for the successful accomplishment of tasks. But these plans are made difficult by others. Others see our anxiety and exploit it by allowing us to take responsibility  for any problems. 

Any practical or psychological suggestions to reduce anxiety welcomed.

Edited by Angst

Interestingly it the builder who alerted all four of us about the need for parking space. Feel the build up of anxiety. Feel like a drink to supplement the pills. But I think I will reject that route. 

3 hours ago, Angst said:

I imagine that the scaffolding will not be erected. We lose £1000. And the repair to the  property will not take place. The property becomes unsaleable and I am trapped here until death.

I'll start with, i think this is highly unlikely.

Things like this are hard, relying on other people to cooperate. The thing is, despite your neighbours being a little lackadaisical, it will probably be fine. There behaviour will be way more common than the preparations you're suggesting, and although yours would offer a guarantee that everything will get done, theirs probably will too. The scaffolding truck will probably find a way to work around stuff. 

It is hard not to take the responsibility on your own shoulders, but you share that responsibility with everyone involved. You've done what you can, the best you can do now is get on with your night and let things play out tomorrow. 

That’s a nice word Emma ‘lackadaisicial’ it is a better way to attribute the behaviour of neighbours than exploitative. One of them is lackadaisical perhaps to a very extreme level. So I see if I can reserve space early tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Hi Gemma. Yes with some help from me. Some conflict between two of the co owners by ill considered e mails when the workmen found a partially collapsing structure on the building. But after five days reasonably satisfied by progress. I think group decision making is intrinsically difficult. Just look at our Cabinet!