OCD before holiday

Going on our first holiday as a family this week and my OCD has decided to run riot.

What happens if I get sick? What happens if I can’t travel? What happens if I pick up a bug and give it to my toddler / wife and ruin the holiday?

Does anyone else have this issue before travelling? I’m trying to think that these kind of things are out of my control and what will be will be but I’m on edge 24/7 especially when outside / in public. 

Yes I've experienced this. I had a break away recently and was very anxious beforehand, worrying that something might go wrong or I might not cope. It's only through practising therapy lots over the years that the thoughts don't bother me so much. In other words I've learned to expect them and put trust in myself that I will cope. 

Have you had CBT previously? If so now is the time to start relying on things you've learnt. 

Try to remember that what if thoughts are still just thoughts. Our brains are drawn to plan when going on holiday, we have to work out timings, and travel plans and what to pack. On top of that our brains assess what might go wrong. With OCD, it's just an extension of that thinking. Try to stay in the moment. Only plan what you can control, but don't over plan those things either. Take each moment as it comes and take a leap of faith that you can cope in whatever situations that occur :)

What if you actually have a good time add that into the mix . If you got sick you would deal with it just like you were at home so try not to worry to much. I’m sure youll have a great time 

18 hours ago, Zico said:

What happens if I get sick?

You rest and recover, maybe see a doctor if necessary.  Just like if you were at home :)

18 hours ago, Zico said:

What happens if I can’t travel?

Then you relax at home and travel another time.  It happens, its not ideal, but its not the end of the world.

18 hours ago, Zico said:

What happens if I pick up a bug and give it to my toddler / wife and ruin the holiday?

Then they will rest and you'll help take care of them.  Again this could happen at home too!  People get sick sometimes, but usually they don't.  If a problem like that comes along you can deal with it like you normally would.

People go on vacation all the time.  Most of the time, the majority of the time, nothing really bad happens!  Sometimes things don't go so great, its true, but you deal with it and move on, it'll be ok.

Back about 10 years ago I was going on holiday for my friends wedding (which I was in).  The day I left I came down with a bug.  By the time I got to the resort where everyone was staying I was running a fever, so I slept off and on for about the next 24 hours.  I missed the bachelor party (nothing wild, dinner at a fun restaurant, bowling, etc.).  I mostly sat around for the next few days so I would be ok for the wedding.  But I still had some fun, still was able to relax. It wasn't ideal, but it wasn't the end of the world.  Life happens, you can't control all of it.  You just handle each situation as it comes.

And, as Biccy says, what if you go, no one gets sick, and you just focus on spending time together and having fun!  Thats a possibility too!  Why not focus on that one.