Tolerance when people don't read things carefully

I try to take care when I write to people. So it really does my head in when, when you get the response, they haven't read your email / letter properly. It's happened 3 times in the last week! And, surprise, surprise, all 3 illogical responses are from the NHS. I guess I should be glad they are communicating with me but I wish I could get them to read English properly. What's the point of saying what I want to say if they are going to read something different? Why is communication so hard?

Edited by seekingERPnorthwest

Hi Seeker,

I am not sure what you can do really, but I can certainly understand your frustration!

When I first had a psychological assessment in 2003/04, the psychiatrist seemed so insistent that I have a copy of the letter he had received from my GP and the letter he was about to send back to my GP. A short time later, I received this paperwork, but was concerned because it was in a sellotaped up envelope, and then I discovered it had been addressed to my neighbour!

I was absolutely fuming, suffering with psychotic depression, and questioning now what my neighbour knew! Other than changing the address, I believe nothing was ever done about it. Oh, & on about three occasions, I have been mixed up with a patient of the same name, and told off for not attending their appointment. :rolleyes:

@seekingERPnorthwest - I can absolutely relate to your frustration and you have every right to feel upset by this kind of behavior.  That said, its unfortunately outside your control how other people react and behave in most situations.  Try not to let their poor behavior affect you too much.  Do your best and I'd say if you continue to have difficulty in dealing with the NHS reach out to Ashley and the charity to see if they can help intervene on your behalf.  Best of luck.

All too common with administration. I found it to be common with DWP, pension administrators, and solicitors. In the case of the DWP there has been a cut of 30 per cent in staff over the past ten years.

I made a complaint, asking to know why my local psychologist told me something and then went back on what she said (something which had a significant & devastating impact on me). First of all they didn't answer properly, so I reiterated my problem. They have just come back to me to say what she told me is "not documented". But it's of little help to me to just say it's not documented. I'd like to know why what happened happened, irrespective of whether what she said was documented or not! Why are NHS complaints investigators either so thick or so unwilling to help patients resolve their problems?

Someone on Twitter said that after a suicide attempt, a nurse scolded her for not thinking about the person who would have found her corpse. I replied because I felt sorry for the person & bewildered by the nurse's comment - however we die, in the vast majority of cases, yes we will be corpses, and yes, someone else will probably find us. You'd think a nurse, of all people, would be able to figure that out.

Edited by seekingERPnorthwest

‘Not documented’ implies that there is no evidence. It seems to imply that the psychologist did not put into writing into your case notes what she mentioned to you. 

It might be more effective to request what you want and use an advocate. An advocate would serve two purposes (a) act as a witness in any meeting and (b) provide documented evidence.

6 hours ago, seekingERPnorthwest said:

I made a complaint, asking to know why my local psychologist told me something and then went back on what she said (something which had a significant & devastating impact on me). First of all they didn't answer properly, so I reiterated my problem. They have just come back to me to say what she told me is "not documented". But it's of little help to me to just say it's not documented. I'd like to know why what happened happened, irrespective of whether what she said was documented or not! Why are NHS complaints investigators either so thick or so unwilling to help patients resolve their problems?

Someone on Twitter said that after a suicide attempt, a nurse scolded her for not thinking about the person who would have found her corpse. I replied because I felt sorry for the person & bewildered by the nurse's comment - however we die, in the vast majority of cases, yes we will be corpses, and yes, someone else will probably find us. You'd think a nurse, of all people, would be able to figure that out.

Hey @seekingERPnorthwest, I feel your pain. I haven't had issues with the NHS regarding my OCD treatment but both of my parents have had health problems over the last few years and we've had to deal with so much trouble and so many mistakes.

My advice is, unless there is something else you need done, to let it go. Of course, if you are trying to get access to some services or need help, by all means keep pushing. However, if you're just seeking an explanation or apology, it is going to be a huge battle to get one and you need to ask yourself it this is worth your time, energy and emotional wellbeing. Sorry if I completely misunderstood your case, though. 

50 minutes ago, Angst said:

It might be more effective to request what you want and use an advocate. An advocate would serve two purposes (a) act as a witness in any meeting and (b) provide documented evidence.

This sounds like a great resource, I didn't know it was possible.