OCD Open Day / Information Roadshow - Edinburgh, Sun 18th Aug

OCDroadshow.jpg

Further Details - https://www.ocduk.org/ocd-roadshow/

Launching this year, in addition to our annual conference we will be bringing our OCD information roadshow across England, Wales and Northern Ireland throughout the rest of this year and 2020.  Our free open day / roadshows give us the opportunity to travel to parts of the country where our conference won’t reach this year and be there to offer attendees presentations, information, advice, local treatment signposting and support about Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

Whether you have a specific question about OCD treatment or more complicated advocacy needs, we aim to offer practical advice and support on the day. We can put you in contact with local and national services, as well as recommending top self-help materials and offer our highly acclaimed information booklets for you to take away free of charge.

For those of you in the Edinburgh area please do pop in and say hello :)

I am also checking out a couple of OCD themed shows at the Fringe whilst I am up there if anybody wants to join me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I look forward to hopefully chatting to one or two of our Edinburgh based friends this Sunday. I have the biggest and heaviest suitcase full of leaflets and booklets I have to get on the train somehow and across Edinburgh tomorrow :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, I forgot to unpin this.   Definitely a service we shall be repeating in other locations, it was a huge success with people coming from as far as the border region just to talk to us. 

• Ashley unpinned this topic
6 hours ago, Gemma7 said:

Wow that's amazing Ashley :)

Did you manage on your own? 

No, that was a good lesson actually for next time.  I was supported by the team from the Ladybones play who found the venue and promoted it and came on the day. Sorcha very candidly spoke to others around her age which really helped. 

I also had a surprise visit just as I was about to pack away at 4pm by Kirstie who got back off family holiday in time to fly across Edinburgh to come and see me which was lovely. 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

No, that was a good lesson actually for next time.  I was supported by the team from the Ladybones play who found the venue and promoted it and came on the day. Sorcha very candidly spoke to others around her age which really helped. 

I also had a surprise visit just as I was about to pack away at 4pm by Kirstie who got back off family holiday in time to fly across Edinburgh to come and see me which was lovely. 

That's great that Kristie surprised you :)

I can't believe so many people turned up, at least you had some volunteers to help you though. It shows sadly how many people need support.

Bet you came back with a lighter suitcase :D

4 minutes ago, Gemma7 said:

That's great that Kristie surprised you :)

I can't believe so many people turned up, at least you had some volunteers to help you though. It shows sadly how many people need support.

Bet you came back with a lighter suitcase :D

I think there was 11 people in total. Not a huge number, but certainly justified doing it and if we help just one person access treatment, then job done.   Sadly only 2 or 3 people took stuff, the huge heavy suitcase went back heavy!

But I will repeat the exercise in Edinburgh during the Fringe next year, I think there is great awareness potential within the fringe and hopefully a chance to offer support to those with OCD too. If anybody is able to get to Edinburgh and would like to help volunteer next year (handing out awareness cards at the fringe and helping with the open day) please do let me know.

I will also be repeating the open day in Wales next.