Lack of motivation

I don't have any motivation to do things I used to enjoy. Everything is such a struggle with OCD and even the simplest tasks seem impossible at times, more often than not recently.

I used to enjoy my work and I was good at it, going to the office was a way to keep me distracted from OCD. Now I can't even concentrate on the easiest tasks. I now find it hard to even go to the office.

And it's not just work, I don't enjoy going out either. During the weekend, for example, I didn't want to do anything at all. And I'm afraid this will soon, if not already, start to annoy my boyfriend and (very few anyway) friends.

How are we supposed to enjoy the things others can so easily enjoy and appreciate, how can we be good to what we do when OCD is such a tough thing to deal with?...

Hi,

Do you think this lack of motivation and enjoyment is directly linked to OCD, such as a theme stopping you doing things, or might it be depression? 

Also, are you on any medication for OCD or depression, and if so, how long and what kind of dosage?

Hi felix4,

Thanks for your response :)

I think it's possibly a combination of OCD/depression. I do have OCD themes which stop me from doing things I'd otherwise like to do or would do with much less effort. Contamination is my main theme and the one which causes me huge diffuculties though I also have this worry that I shouldn't do something if the circumstances aren't (seemingly of course) ideal.

To give just an example, if I get the idea that for one reason or another today is a "bad" day, I won't complete important tasks at work. I'm fearing that the task that has to be completed will go wrong, then the whole project of which the task is part will go wrong too, then the rest of the projects I work on will fail as well, I'll get fired and I'll be miserable and several other such scenarios... (I know how irrational that is but still I can't deal with it.)

And like that, the OCD/depression becomes a vicious circle: I avoid things and situations because of OCD, this avoidance and procrastination makes me depressed as I feel incompetent and this negative mood worsens my OCD... At least that's what I think. But I can't seem to be able to break this circle at the moment...

Edited by margarita!

Hi margarita :)

You really need to rely on CBT at this point. I know you might not want to hear that but it's true. It's completely natural that you have these feelings, when life is hard and so restricted, motivation is hard to come by. But the only way to feel motivation again is to start getting on top of these problems.

Have you had or are you having therapy? Have you got any self-materials to work through? What you need are a few small gains, they'll boost your confidence, make you feel more in control, and help bolster your motivation.

Hi Gemma,

Thank you so much for your kind response :)

I agree with everything you wrote. I know that's what I have to do. I'm just feeling so low at the moment.

(I'm not having therapy right now, I had in the past, not CBT though. I'm on a waiting list but still months away.)