Giving Blood with hiv contamination fears

Hi all...

Just a quick thing I'm wondering what your opinions are. I recently gave blood for the first time and want to keep it up. But I also have fears of being contaminated by hiv through various ways my OCD makes up. I'm due to give blood again soon...and know they check it for hiv amongst other things...but dont want to as am not meant to be getting tested as it's reassurance....but I really want to as it's a good thing to do...and in the back of my mind I get reassurance too, but I'm also scared incase I do have anything....what should I do in your opinions? Both options seem to be giving in to OCD in some way. 

Giving blood is a great thing to do and helps so many people! I had to have six blood transfusions last year when I became very ill so have nothing but admiration for the kindness of people who donate. I can't give blood anymore because of my medical condition but maybe you could "give" on my behalf? ?

They check for HIV (among other blood disorders) as a routine and precautionary measure due to "scandals" in the 1980s. It's simply a very wise measure.

Try not to see it as a reassurance act but simply a generous thing to do for other people. It's because of people like you I'm still here.

Bridge, you have many topics & posts on the same theme about HIV & you’ve got tested a lot. 

This topic is a call for more reassurance. Reassurance makes your OCD stronger. More you post asking for reassurance the stronger it’s going to get. 

Perhaps it’s time to nip it in the bud?

1 hour ago, PhilM said:

Giving blood is a great thing to do and helps so many people! I had to have six blood transfusions last year when I became very ill so have nothing but admiration for the kindness of people who donate. I can't give blood anymore because of my medical condition but maybe you could "give" on my behalf? ?

They check for HIV (among other blood disorders) as a routine and precautionary measure due to "scandals" in the 1980s. It's simply a very wise measure.

Try not to see it as a reassurance act but simply a generous thing to do for other people. It's because of people like you I'm still here.

Thank you Phil....thats a good way of looking at it x

I'm going to be the contrarian here. I advise you to stop giving blood. 

You know they check all donated blood for HIV and other diseases. You know you would be called if any disease was detected. So, every time you give blood and don't get a call, you are getting reassurance that you don't have HIV.

Reassurance is a compulsion. Compulsions prolong your suffering. 

In this case, you need to think about yourself before others. You are in charge of your mental health and you must do what's best for you.

No testing, of any kind.

Thank you Polar Bear. I really wasn't meaning of this as a reassurance post like Handy suggested, although I can see how it seems like it. 

What you say makes sense....it's an interesting point of thought though....it can turn into a reassurance episode. It's hard to think of myself first as OCD makes me not care about myself at all, only others.

Another interesting point...I was reading through my old posts and 3 years ago I was in a state about someone I thought might have got harmed or ill ...and now I can't even remember who or what that was about.....goes to show OCD makes us worry about all kinds of silly things which are significant to us as the time but aren't actually true things to be afraid of!

Thank you x

Bodge I think ultimately you need to ask yourself if you're donating blood because it's a great thing to do OR if it's a form of reassurance seeking. It's not for me to say obviously and no-one else either (non-professionals I mean).

I will say that blood donation is extremely important (for myself as much as anyone) and if you are doing it for the RIGHT reasons please continue to do so.

Best wishes, Phil

I get reassurance when I see that a ship has life boats and life buoys. I have a fear of drowning. Should I therefore go on ships which take no precautions? Anything taken to extremes is absurd. So once a year PERHAPS you are reassured. So what. You are doing a great thing -a socially responsible thing -in most countries such as the US they pay donors. As Titmus argues for the safety of the blood and the social solidarity involved. It leads to safer blood being given by socially responsible persons. 

Edited by Angst
5 minutes ago, Angst said:

I get reassurance when I see that a ship has life boats and life buoys. I have a fear of drowning. Should I therefore go on ships which take no precautions? Anything taken to extremes is absurd. So once a year PERHAPS you are reassured. So what. You are doing a great thing -a socially responsible thing -in most countries such as the US they pay donors. As Titmus argues for the safety of the blood and the social solidarity involved. It leads to safer blood being given by socially responsible persons. 

Safer blood is given by people who volunteer rather than are paid. For clarification. 

If you thought you have HIV you would not have given blood. Therefore you know you don’t have HIV. You answered your own question. 

& if you thought giving blood so you could be tested for HIV again & get reassurance, you’ll be back for more. 

Edited by Handy