If you could have one day without OCD: What is the first thing you would do?

Hi guys :)

Well, imagine that you don't have OCD for one day... what is the first thing you would do (something that OCD doesn't let you do)?

In my case, I would love to go to work and go jogging without having OCD thoughts that make my day harder. And I would drive my car again, I would be driving the entire day just because I wouldn't have my OCD stopping me to drive. 

Edited by Andrea
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post Andrea :) I like imaging what i would do if the OCD left as it's always a good motivator to stay on track to get better and continue uncomfortable exposures!

For me my life has become somewhat comfortable within the OCD restrictions that I forget sometimes about what i would do if i was back to where i was before the OCD took over. The big thing i would love to do is road trips. I can't travel at all as I'm still restricted to just using my own bathroom. So If that went, I would love to go travel and visit family and friends, and even just go on interesting journeys and stay all different places. 

8 hours ago, GreyCat said:

I would love to help this day in an animal shelter - but now it is impossible, it would take me the whole day to check if all doors are closed, all toys are safe....

Loving your day without OCD GreyCat, I would like to help in an animal shelter too ?

Wonderful that you are also an animal lover! I'm unfortunately not good with humans but I love animals. I would love to help as many as possible. My cats are rescue cats too. Unfortunately it takes forever to check that they are safe or better that it feels safe. To take responsibility for additional animals is impossible ?

On 19/08/2019 at 02:51, Andrea said:

Well, imagine that you don't have OCD for one day... what is the first thing you would do (something that OCD doesn't let you do)?

I love this question Andrea.... can I borrow this on the charity's social media channels?

Unfortunately I can not answer because my answer is of an adult nature ?

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

I love this question Andrea.... can I borrow this on the charity's social media channels?

Hi Ash :),

Of course you can borrow this question, it would be an honor that you use the question on the charity's social media channels :57439eb60db27_thumbup:

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

Unfortunately I can not answer because my answer is of an adult nature ?

:lol:

14 hours ago, GreyCat said:

Wonderful that you are also an animal lover! I'm unfortunately not good with humans but I love animals. I would love to help as many as possible. My cats are rescue cats too.

Hi GreyCat :)

I love animals. It is one of my dreams to help in an animal shelter. I have 3 dogs, they are rescue dogs.

14 hours ago, GreyCat said:

To take responsibility for additional animals is impossible ?

Don't say impossible Greycat, I truly believe that we are capable of achieving the impossible. We just have to start to believe it. That is the first step: once you choose hope, anything is possible. Besides you love animals , that is the most important thing you need to work in an animal shelter. 

Hi Andrea you gave me some great advice 3 years ago which I used. Now I can drive & travel around USA.  I wash much much fewer times. 

Because anxiety is necessary for survival I can’t be without it. 

Those seeing the positive in it fare much better. Like one time my compulsion was about cars so I rode my bike. Found $40 in the gutter. One time I went swimming in a cleaning compulsion & I swam around a cove to shore & a beautiful gal in a bathing suit on the beach began to talk to me. I wouldn’t have met her otherwise. My point is seeing the positive in things. 

Edited by Handy
48 minutes ago, Handy said:

Hi Andrea you gave me some great advice 3 years ago which I used. Now I can drive & travel around USA.  I wash much much fewer times. 

Because anxiety is necessary for survival I can’t be without it. 

Those seeing the positive in it fare much better. Like one time my compulsion was about cars so I rode my bike. Found $40 in the gutter. One time I went swimming in a cleaning compulsion & I swam around a cove to shore & a beautiful gal in a bathing suit on the beach began to talk to me. I wouldn’t have met her otherwise. My point is seeing the positive in things. 

I am glad if I said something that helped you in the past Handy. On the other hand, sometimes it is difficult to understand you.

There is absolutely nothing positive about performing compulsions. In my opinion, compulsions don't have a positive side. 

This post is about having a day without OCD. What is the first thing you would do in a day without OCD Handy?

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I would keep working on awareness so the OCD keept being in check. 

In your case I don't think this wishful thinking is of any use, you don't need to wish btw, you just start working for it right away.

Andrea, it would be the same. I would do the same things.  

Having a positive outlook is foremost in tackling it. It gives me mental creativity, phenomenal attention to detail, used correctly I can master my projects & sports & have tremendous sympathy for others. I can’t imagine a day without these incredible qualities. 

First, I’d make sure to leave a note not to take my medication that day ?

Second, I’d do whatever I felt like doing that day.  Stay at home and read? Great!  Go out with friends? Great! To just live life without the nagging of OCD making me start to question whether I want to or don’t want to do something because of OCD, whether I should go out or stay in and whether that’s OCD at work, just the subtle but pervasive ways in which OCD creeps in to your everyday thinking about life, to be utterly free of the haze it causes to how you see your life, that would be glorious. I try to ignore it as much as I can but to know it’s completely gone? That I can trust my thoughts and reactions? Oh that would be wonderful. Some days I have it, others I don’t, but to feel sure? It wouldn’t matter what I did, just knowing it was free from the taint of OCD would be great. ?

16 hours ago, Handy said:

Andrea, it would be the same. I would do the same things.  

Having a positive outlook is foremost in tackling it. It gives me mental creativity, phenomenal attention to detail, used correctly I can master my projects & sports & have tremendous sympathy for others. I can’t imagine a day without these incredible qualities. 

Used correctly?  Please tell me you are not talking about OCD?  You do understand what the D in OCD stands for?  

If I am reading that correctly and you think the 'OCD traits' you have can be used correctly to master projects and give you incredible qualities then I have to question what is going on Handy. I don't like making unsolicited claims about people diagnosis, but I can't help wondering if you actually suffer with OCD at all? I don't believe anybody on this forum would ever describe OCD in such terms.  Possibly somebody with OCPD might suggest their way of doing things is 'normal' and a positive.    

my first post and not being controversial in any way i think but i found handys claim that his ocd has aspects that contribute positively in some ways quite uplifting ♥️ 

Edited by whipspins
odd i am worrying i will upset someone
6 hours ago, dksea said:

just the subtle but pervasive ways in which OCD creeps in to your everyday thinking about life, to be utterly free of the haze it causes to how you see your life, that would be glorious. I try to ignore it as much as I can but to know it’s completely gone? That I can trust my thoughts and reactions? Oh that would be wonderful. Some days I have it, others I don’t, but to feel sure? It wouldn’t matter what I did, just knowing it was free from the taint of OCD would be great. ?

Completely this for me. So well put dksea ?

Edited by Emsie
9 hours ago, dksea said:

First, I’d make sure to leave a note not to take my medication that day ?

Second, I’d do whatever I felt like doing that day.  Stay at home and read? Great!  Go out with friends? Great! To just live life without the nagging of OCD making me start to question whether I want to or don’t want to do something because of OCD, whether I should go out or stay in and whether that’s OCD at work, just the subtle but pervasive ways in which OCD creeps in to your everyday thinking about life, to be utterly free of the haze it causes to how you see your life, that would be glorious. I try to ignore it as much as I can but to know it’s completely gone? That I can trust my thoughts and reactions? Oh that would be wonderful. Some days I have it, others I don’t, but to feel sure? It wouldn’t matter what I did, just knowing it was free from the taint of OCD would be great. ?

2 hours ago, Emsie said:

Completely this for me. So well put dksea ?

I agree with Emsie, Great reply dksea :goodpost::57439eb60db27_thumbup: