If you could have one day without OCD: What is the first thing you would do?

23 hours ago, Ashley said:

If I am reading that correctly and you think the 'OCD traits' you have can be used correctly to master projects and give you incredible qualities then I have to question what is going on Handy. I don't like making unsolicited claims about people diagnosis, but I can't help wondering if you actually suffer with OCD at all? I don't believe anybody on this forum would ever describe OCD in such terms.  Possibly somebody with OCPD might suggest their way of doing things is 'normal' and a positive.    

I have to agree. While I have learned things dealing with my OCD that I have been able to use in a positive fashion, that is finding a silver lining, finding at least a little something good I can salvage from something very very bad. 

But given the chance I would GLADLY forgo ever having had OCD. The bad of OCD has astronomically outweighed any good that comes from it. Because I can’t undo the bad that happened I will do my best to make do with what little good there is (such as meeting some fine people here and elsewhere, or having more compassion and understanding for people dealing with mental illness). 

I have zero doubt the world would be a better place without OCD. None. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, dksea said:

I have to agree. While I have learned things dealing with my OCD that I have been able to use in a positive fashion, that is finding a silver lining, finding at least a little something good I can salvage from something very very bad. 

But given the chance I would GLADLY forgo ever having had OCD. The bad of OCD has astronomically outweighed any good that comes from it. Because I can’t undo the bad that happened I will do my best to make do with what little good there is (such as meeting some fine people here and elsewhere, or having more compassion and understanding for people dealing with mental illness). 

I have zero doubt the world would be a better place without OCD. None. 

I agree completely.

Handy, the positive traits you have are not OCD - they're just good traits you have which you would have regardless.  OCD is a disorder (the clue is in the "d") and if it isn't causing suffering for you then you don't have a disorder, basically. 

Like you DKSea I have found some silver linings just as people do with many different afflictions.  Some people's lives are turned round by a cancer diagnosis.  I'm sure those people however would trade those gifts for not having cancer in a heartbeat!

I would spend the entire day enjoying the company of my kids without worrying that they either may not be real or that they are unwell/in danger of being hurt (I suffer from existential obsessions and health obsessions relating to my kids).

We turned our back yard into an oasis. That's what we call it. It became a place of healing.

As I recovered, I would sit in the oasis with a cup of coffee, relax and enjoy everything around me. I would notice butterflies and ants, in a way for the first time, because my mind wasn't filled with unwanted thoughts and rumination. My wife would come out and we'd have a conversation and I could, for the first time, truly focus on her and what she was saying. 

I still do this, every day. I marvel at the world around me that isn't being seen through the awful lens that is OCD.

My wife & I marketed our compulsions & make a lot of money on them. Some people sit in the rain bitching about it, others figure a way to save the rain & market it. Without OCD for a day we certainly wouldn’t enjoy our jobs as much. Probably stay home. 

I also just had had cancer surgery & it doesn’t change anything at all despite the comment above. 

Edited by Handy

I am Not sure if I want to Go Into this discussion but I have to  contradict. The term  enjoy would be the last word I would come Up with  when  thinking about OCD. I am a checker and I check my work several times, I come in on the weekends. Luckily I catch most mistakes. Therefore I lately received a Job offer to proof-read a manual.  Payment was Very good. NOT for EUR 1000000 I would have agreed since the stress and anxiety are just too much. So I dare to doubt if it's really OCD or if so maybe with another topic.  @ Andrea, this is wonderful with the rescue dogs. Sorry for Not replying sooner but I sometimes don't dare to write. This was such a positive and wonderful post of you, really inspiring and giving me hope and a reason why to continue fighting and it makes me sad in which Direction it partly went. I definitely don't dare any more to mention details of my OCD since I am too vulnerable at the moment for some of the possible replies.  So I thank you for your courage and for bringing hope and light and for your Inspiration. Sorry for the bad english, I am writing on the phone which is constantly changing the language 

23 hours ago, Handy said:

My wife & I marketed our compulsions & make a lot of money on them. Some people sit in the rain bitching about it, others figure a way to save the rain & market it. Without OCD for a day we certainly wouldn’t enjoy our jobs as much. Probably stay home. 

I also just had had cancer surgery & it doesn’t change anything at all despite the comment above. 

This post here convinces me you have NO CLUE what OCD is. Marketing compulsions my a..

17 hours ago, GreyCat said:

@ Andrea, this is wonderful with the rescue dogs. Sorry for Not replying sooner but I sometimes don't dare to write. This was such a positive and wonderful post of you, really inspiring and giving me hope and a reason why to continue fighting and it makes me sad in which Direction it partly went. I definitely don't dare any more to mention details of my OCD since I am too vulnerable at the moment for some of the possible replies.  So I thank you for your courage and for bringing hope and light and for your Inspiration. Sorry for the bad english, I am writing on the phone which is constantly changing the language 

Hi GreyCat :flowers:,

I am sorry you feel too vulnerable at the moment. In the past, I used to have problems to write because of my OCD too. Keep working hard against OCD, It is the only way to overcome these problems. 

big HU:hug:

On 23/08/2019 at 09:00, Frailey said:

I would spend the entire day enjoying the company of my kids without worrying that they either may not be real or that they are unwell/in danger of being hurt (I suffer from existential obsessions and health obsessions relating to my kids).

Hi Frailey,

It sounds like a lovely day without OCD :) 

By the way, welcome to the forums :howdy:

Edited by Andrea
On 23/08/2019 at 11:11, PolarBear said:

We turned our back yard into an oasis. That's what we call it. It became a place of healing.

As I recovered, I would sit in the oasis with a cup of coffee, relax and enjoy everything around me. I would notice butterflies and ants, in a way for the first time, because my mind wasn't filled with unwanted thoughts and rumination. My wife would come out and we'd have a conversation and I could, for the first time, truly focus on her and what she was saying. 

I still do this, every day. I marvel at the world around me that isn't being seen through the awful lens that is OCD.

Great reply polarbear :goodpost:

• 3 weeks later...

I'd jump in the car and go to the beach to sit near the sea in peace, alone without the fear of getting lost, crashing or having an anxiety attack. And also to not have to feel so reliant on others to reassure me that I am enough and loved. 

30 minutes ago, KMBJO said:

I'd jump in the car and go to the beach to sit near the sea in peace, alone without the fear of getting lost, crashing or having an anxiety attack. And also to not have to feel so reliant on others to reassure me that I am enough and loved. 

This right here.  Except for I would want to bring a good friend with me (if I had one) to enjoy the experience with me.  

29 minutes ago, mikos said:

This right here.  Except for I would want to bring a good friend with me (if I had one) to enjoy the experience with me.  

Absolutely Mikos, I hope you find that special friend to experience it with x

4 hours ago, KMBJO said:

I agree with mikos that sounds like a great day without OCD.

By the way :howdy:to the forum to both of you (KMBJO and mikos)

6 hours ago, dimmerswitch said:

I would hug the happy young man I used to be and smile as I remembered what it was to not worry....

lovely post Andrea.

I am glad you like the post dimmerswitch :57439eb60db27_thumbup:

I send you a big HUG:hug:

This is a fun topic folks :lol: and nice to share some banter.......but it is possible to have a day/week/ month/year/future to be able to enjoy these things despite being an OCD sufferer.  Maybe you haven't found the help or solution just yet.....but please, don't anyone just see this as a mere dream.  It is possible.  So please don't just see them as dreams...log them in your brain as achievable goals :)

All through my OCD years, there was just one thing I wanted. 

Peace.

Peace inside my head. Peace from a mind that wouldn't shut off, that was constantly second guessing every thought, every action, every reaction. Peace from the horrible thoughts that tormented me.

I found it. And it's as good as I dreamed.

Guest dimmerswitch
4 hours ago, PolarBear said:

All through my OCD years, there was just one thing I wanted. 

Peace.

Peace inside my head. Peace from a mind that wouldn't shut off, that was constantly second guessing every thought, every action, every reaction. Peace from the horrible thoughts that tormented me.

I found it. And it's as good as I dreamed.

Always inspiring and positive Polar Bear. ?

On 16/09/2019 at 12:31, ocdishell said:

Wow, this post, even dough i just read the headline, nothing in the post, and none of the answers, is one of the best posts ive ever seen on this forum.

really hit me in the right way, thank you so much. Really. 

Hi ocdishell :),

I am glad this post hit you in a so positive way:57439eb60db27_thumbup:

I send you a big HUG :hug:

Well I am experiencing a relatively OCD-free period right now which is wonderful.  And honestly the best thing about it is to not have to think about OCD all the flipping time.  To just live without this sense of your brain being interminably stuck on the same record.  I am not confident it won't return but enjoying it while it lasts. 

The great thing though is that that "one day" (or a lifetime) is within the grasp of all of us if we apply the principles of CBT and keep working them without giving into OCD's demands. 

I think it's a great idea to write down what you would do on your one day without OCD, and keep it somewhere you can look at it. Think "I will do this one day".  it doesn't have to be a pipe dream!  

Edited by gingerbreadgirl

I would go on holiday somewhere far away like America/Canada. I've always wanted to go there but I really struggle to cope with 2 hour flights, the rituals and compultions I feel I have to carry out otherwise the plane will crash is exhausting, I couldnt do it for 10 hours... I would actually look forward to going as well. Hopefully one day It'll happen :)