OCD and Trust issues

Hi all,

I’m really worried about how OCD is affecting my ability to trust people. It’s especially distressing when it is my Mum and Dad. I’ll give you an example but before I go on, I want to clarify that I know what I was asking my mum for in the first place was probably not right. But anyway, I asked my mum to wipe a pillow beneath a bunch of other pillows but it needed to be wiped. To help my mum, I went downstairs to get her a bottle of water and when I came back she’d already begun wiping said big pillow. However, the pillows were just below the TV and I’m now panicked the pillow touched the TV. I know what you will say about it probably doesn’t matter even if it did and I’m not necessarily disagreeing with that except the fact the zip may have caught it. She says she went no where near the TV but I have no way of knowing if that is true. Which brings me to my point. Forget the other obvious OCD things, the fact is that I find it difficult to even believe my own mother with certainty that she didn’t touch the screen. It’s possible. She says to  me she didn’t but I have no way of knowing if that is true. This isn’t the first time I have run into this problem either and it brings me to the fact that I am really distressed that I can’t bring myself to trust someone so important to me. This is a new facet of my OCD and I find myself becoming more paranoid about things like this. Is this even still OCD?

Cheers

Of course it's OCD. What your mom did or didn't do is irrelevant. It's OCD that you are trying to figure out what happened. It's OCD to even ask her if the pillow went near the TV. It's irrelevant. Your mom could have smeared the pillow all over the TV and it wouldn't matter.

This is entirely you and your OCD. In the future, your mom should refuse to answer such questions like, did A get near B.

More to the point, wanting the pillow cleaned was likely unnecessary and a compulsion. Wanting her to do it was a compulsion. Wanting her to wait so you could monitor how she did it was a compulsion.

Edited by PolarBear

Agree with Polar Bear. It needed to be wiped. No. You want to know with certainty that your Mum followed your precise instructions to carry out a compulsion for your gratification in satisfying your OCD. If I was your Mum I would say ****** off. Sorry to be so blunt.