Ocd back again please help shed light

I am trying to get rid of my ocd reference a real event. I get on top of the ocd feel good get a trigger and then it goes back reopens it and i feel not good again. I am fed up at myself as it gets me each time. I am stuck on situation well over a year ago me getting drunk having words with my cousin me feeling anxious because i knew it had gone to far caz she got up in my face i walked away me crying. Ocd is having a field day and i cannot shake the importants. Feeling confident about myself and being assertive is very important to me as i have worked hard on it. This was moment of weakness it will happen again i am sure human being.Ocd is saying what does crying mean about me. being anxious or afraid make me weak am i a weakling etc caz i felt fear. Plus my other cousin said i thought you would have said something and not let her off with it. I am not one to let people off with being rude. Its the meaning i am attaching to the situation. I wish i could let it go and tell myself ocd is having a field day stop getting into this. If it was not this it would be something else. I feel so anxious caz these negative thoughts are making me feel sick. I want to say you are still a strong confident woman your are only human this reaction does not chance who you are let it go. Then the what if it haopens again etc. I am not dealing with this as ocd which i should because it was sonething that happened. I am trying to reframe the event so i can let it not make me feel bad but each time i am pulled back in. Thank you for reading x

If you only treat symptoms it’ll come back. It’s like pulling the top of a weed off, it just grows back.

Why not pull it out? 

OCD therapy like meds or CBT only treat the symptoms not the cause. 

Handy, you are spouting off without knowledge. CBT, with or without meds, is the only recognized therapy for the treatment of OCD. It fundamentally gets to the heart of the problem by slowly changing the way sufferers think and behave.

Its hard to let go of what my reaction means about me as a person. I try saying you are only human your reaction is ocd but it has gripped so tight i am finding it so hard to refocus and loosen the importance..

Polar Bear, there are other therapies & CBT doesn’t get to the cause or why just the symptoms so OCD comes back. Why don’t you try it for a change after you get off your meds?

Handy, you are in no position to tell me what to do. A combination of meds, CBT, education and hard work means, after suffering for 40 years, I no longer have any signs of OCD. Zero symptoms. Been that way for going on five years now.

I find cbt is an excellent tool and meds its just ocd is so sneaky when you feeling great from using tecniques and then you get a trigger and start reopening it and making it important. Excellent work polar bear. How would you deal with triggers and not allowing ocd to knock you for 6 when it applies un neccessary meaning to silly life events... i have posted this sinario before and i know i am venting and reassurance seeking which is frustrating to read i am sure. But i do want to get back on track it is ocd distorting the situation and afraid and keeping it stuck and playing over and over i am trying hard to refocus.

Edited by angels

Hi angels,

It sounds like there may be self-esteem issues at play here? I think it can be common with OCD to also have other things going on around self-esteem, confidence in ourselves etc.

I think this may be getting at your core belief...it's something that has been discussed before on the forum. Unfortunately i still don't have a good grasp on how to work with core beliefs, so i don't have much to offer in terms of advice.  I still find my core beliefs remain around my lack of competency and self esteem issues and it's easy for that to be triggered for me. One thing that does seem to help is just knowing that i do tend toward that cognitive distortion, so when it comes up, i can at least be aware that i am probably putting that slant on the situation.

You sound like you do have the awareness intellectually that the incident doesn't mean that you are weak. That is good at least. I know it still feels bad to have that as a feeling that you can't shake, but hopefully that intellectual awareness is a step in the right direction.

You could try putting a search in for core beliefs and see what other threads say on it.

My ocd topic is about self esteem and being able to look after myself its been ongoing this form for 8 years so i get alot of intrusive thoughts and doubts reference this topic reading your post is a little triggering for me. But i greatly appreciate your response and you are right in what you are saying. I have worked hard on my self esteem over the years  and feel the issue is ocd and nothing else. making mountains out of mole hills if i get any normal human thoughts about this topic ocd has a field day. My self esteem and being able to cope if extremely important to me which is why ocd has latched onto it. Because it is a subject with no difinate answers and alot of grey ocd has a field day. I do know that when i am not beliving the negative thoughts i feel really good and my self esteem is good. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to reply xx

I have an understanding about a core belife but not in relation to ocd i would be worried knowing too much as my ocd would home in on it and keep me stuck probably i did go down this route before which lead my ocd to get worse. The nature of beast x

Really sorry if I said something that triggered you angels--really didn't mean to :( . I think i didn't have a proper understanding of your OCD issue.  Hopefully somebody else might have a better insight to share.

Anyways i do hope you are feeling better soon with all this!

take care and wishing you well 

On 24/08/2019 at 15:30, PolarBear said:

Handy, you are in no position to tell me what to do. A combination of meds, CBT, education and hard work means, after suffering for 40 years, I no longer have any signs of OCD. Zero symptoms. Been that way for going on five years now.

I suspect not anything you don't know, Handy's not to be taken seriously. Invariably he clutters up the forum with half knowlege, off kilter 'wisdom' and non sequiturs. 

Edited by paradoxer

Leif please do not be worrying i have triggered myself and i totally appreciate your post and what youve wrote is true . I did not mention before what my ocd topic was. I greatly appreciate your response and kindness x the situation involving the nite out did trigger an old core belife so you are right and ocd has had a field day x

Edited by angels