PIP Problems

I need assistance to fill in the PIP form. Most advice agencies in my area have closed down or providing restricted access such as Citizens Advice.  How can I get an appointment especially when the one Advice agency in my area does not answer phone calls or emails?

Good advice Madchoc. It is a good site. I am a member. But I still feel I need interpersonal assistance. It is like the difference between reading and trying to implement the therapies in a self help book and seeing a therapist. I have multiple mental and physical health problems which make completing the physical printed form a problem.  In the past people have completed the forms for me as well as help me clarify my answers. Again thanks for the advice. But with interacting mental and physical problems I need physical and mental help.

Hi No. I am not involved in universal credit.

I think that ESA or forms of it might be involved in universal credit but not PIP. Could  be wrong.

All of us need professional advice.

As I am of retirement age universal credit does not apply to me. At the moment. I think. But the future? Who knows?

Edited by Angst

Hello Angst, 

Sorry to hear that- the whole application process is so stressful. Have you tried asking questions about specific sections of the claim form on the Forum section of Benefitsandwork? It sounds as though it might be difficult to get professional help with filling the form in- is there anything that we could help with? 

Also bear in mind that it's OK to ask a friend or family member to fill the questionnaire in for you, although you would want to provide them with rough answers so that you include all of the necessary information. 

Hi belanna

I had another go in preparing answers today. With Q4 they ask the amount of time you need help with your treatment. How do you work out the time periods. It is six times day if we cluster together the treatments. Treatments involving blood tests, taking of a variety of medications through the day, application of ointments and creams for a variety of conditions caused by diabetic nerve death and the skin’s inability to sense danger and an extremely painful form of eczema which makes a lot of physical activity difficult. The blood tests reveal on a consistent basis that I am not taking the prescribed medication. My commitment to quite an exacting physical regime is made difficult by three mental health conditions. But do you guesstimate the time per week?

Confirmation from Citizens Advice that they will not be able to offer me an appointment because of limited capacity despite funding from the local council. Our local law advice agency shut down last month. There is no legal aid now for welfare  to help you challenge a decision. The advice and legal landscape has certainly changed in under four years.

• 2 weeks later...

Got an extension to hand in the PIP form. Finally managed to get some partial help to fill up the form. Because of time constraints I have to fill in most of the form and get some comments and necessary amendments. A full appointment would take six weeks too long for DWP. But at least going via route will give me at least some access to advocacy if I have to appeal a decision.