Hello,

I have been wondering just recently if I need to see my GP about taking SSRIs.

My OCD and general mental health has been pretty bad recently. I am recognizing issues that I need to 'fix', but I keep having little moments where I lash out or 'blow up', and I am constantly plagued with doubt and my mind doesn't feel solid enough to get any cohesion in keeping the thoughts at bay. Would taking SSRIs help at all?

I have taken Citalopram in the past and this helped me when I was first diagnosed with OCD, but my GP decided it was time for me to come off them as he said they were a short term drug. Although it still irks me that he never asked me how I was feeling and I feel that his decision was more about saving the NHS money that with how I was actually feeling.

I guess I should have an answer already as to whether I should see if I am able to go back on SSRIs again, but Citalopram did leave me feeling a bit 'Woosey' at times and tbh, I get the feeling that if I went to my GP and asked to try which SSRI suited me, I would be told that I couldn't have them. I'm not sure what the rules are on being given access to drugs for mental health?

I probably should also point out that I wouldn't want to be doing SSRI's just for the sake of taking them to 'still' my mind, but I also would like to see a CBT therapist again (even a private one) as I think I have more of an understanding of how my mind is now and that I am in a better place of hopefully putting some balance back into my mind but I do think that the SSRI's might help give me a more concrete platform to build on.

I was just wondering what other people think and if anybody has an experiences that may have any bearing on this topic?

Symps 

If you type SSRI into the search bar you will find quite a few discussions on this.

I think that if you've found it to be helpful in the past and you would like to be put back on them, then yes, talk to your doctor about it. And yes, whether or not you go on medication you need to do the CBT.

I have been on SSRI's for  a few years now and won't be coming off them any time soon, as last time I did I had a bad relapse.

Hi Symps

I'm not sure your GP would say you can't go on medication - in my experience they are only too happy to dish out meds!

Everyone's experience with meds is different.  I am currently taking fluoxetine and have been for around 2 months.  In my opinion they make a difference for me, if small.  I am hesitant to attribute things to one particular cause because at the end of the day, it could be a placebo effect or it could be any number of other things.  But my opinion is that I feel a bit steadier, a bit more resilient, a bit less prone to thoughts getting "stuck".  However I have also experienced side effects - the most major one being insomnia which has affected me really badly.  To me that almost makes the meds not worth it. However I am sticking with them for now in the hope that the side effects wear off.  My intention is to take them only on a temporary basis.  I am also doing a heck of a lot of CBT. 

Only you can decide what to do and whether it's worth trying meds or not.  

I hope whatever you decide you feel better very soon x

Perhaps your doctor doesn’t want you to be dependent on them? That’s a nice change of pace. 

About half give up because of side effects. But combined with CBT they can be quite effective. Only catch is when you don’t take them anymore your anxiety comes back plus withdrawals. 

Good morning everyone, and thank you for you response's.

I did try to respond yesterday, but for some reason I couldn't leave my response.

After some thinking, I may just go with the CBT and 'self manage' my OCD. I have a couple of books about managing mental health and I think, for now, I can progress this way. I'll just take it a step at a time.

On 25/08/2019 at 08:49, gingerbreadgirl said:

Hi GBG,

I saw from another post that you have been having a real rough time of late and I just wanted to wish you all the best and send you hugs ?, I hope things get better soon ?

On 25/08/2019 at 08:09, Symps07 said:

Would taking SSRIs help at all?

In general, yes, SSRI's can absolutely help with OCD.  This has been proven by numerous clinical trials and why they are a recognized treatment for people with OCD.  On average they work about as well in providing symptom relief as CBT alone, and when combined SSRIs and CBT are more effective than either alone.  However, its important to recognize that such results are the AVERAGE of all the people studied, unfortunately individually results will vary, both in effectiveness and in what drugs work best for you.

he said they were a short term drug.

This is 100% factually incorrect.  Many sufferers remain on SSRI's for long periods of time, possibly for life.  I have been taking SSRI's as part of my OCD treatment for over 25 years now, and there are sufferers who have been on them longer than that.  It is true that not all people use SSRI's long term, some people use them for short periods, some never use them.  Thats fine, its up to each person to find out the treatment plan that works best for them.  One must balance the positive impact with potential and actual side effects to determine the best course forward.  But SSRI's can absolutely be taken long term.

but Citalopram did leave me feeling a bit 'Woosey' at times and tbh, I get the feeling that if I went to my GP and asked to try which SSRI suited me, I would be told that I couldn't have them. I'm not sure what the rules are on being given access to drugs for mental health?

Drowsiness is a potential side effect of all SSRIs, how much it bothers you and whether you feel it is worth the positive effects is up to you.  Some people experience side effects intermittently, some experience them initially but they fade as your body adjusts, some people don't experience any at all, and some experience them to a degree that means they can't take the medication any longer.  It varies from person to person so the only way to find out how it works for you is to try if you want.  I find that taking SSRI's at different times of day effects me differently.  Morning vs. evening for example.

I can not quote any rule or regulation in the UK medical world, but I would imagine that given that SSRI's are recognized as a valid treatment option for OCD, absent some specific reason why it would be dangerous to you, your doctor should not be able to prevent your from taking them.  If you have difficulty I'm sure that OCD-UK could help you get the treatment you are looking for, either from your current GP or finding you a new one who is more understanding your situation and knowledgable about the nature of SSRIs.

I probably should also point out that I wouldn't want to be doing SSRI's just for the sake of taking them to 'still' my mind, but I also would like to see a CBT therapist again (even a private one) as I think I have more of an understanding of how my mind is now and that I am in a better place of hopefully putting some balance back into my mind but I do think that the SSRI's might help give me a more concrete platform to build on.

I think this is a very healthy and forward thinking attitude, and its the one I recommend to ALL OCD sufferers who are considering medication.  My situation improved significantly once I was introduced to and began using CBT techniques instead of just relying on the medication.  While I still value the freedom and help the medication gives I am less dependent on it and thus even more free.  Ultimately the balance between medication is a decision you have to make and I hope you find a path forward that helps you in your recovery as much as possible.