Afaid of Hearing damage, help

Another embarrassing ocd post. I dont know if this is actually a real concern or if its just OCD but i'm scared and having a lot of anxiety right now.  I have a neighbor that I don't get along with. It started with him throwing food over my fence to feed my dog when I'm not home. I caught him once but never confronted him. It got to the point where my dog started gaining a lot of weight  so i would leave him on the other side of the house so my neighbor wouldnt be able to throw the food to my dog. After i moved my dog to the other side of the house and kept him there, he starts losing all the excess weight.  I never confronted my neighbor about throwing food over because i dont like confrontation. As a way to get revenge I sometiems would blast music loud enough for him to hear at night. Every time we see each other we would both exchange angry looks. Just earlier this morning I was outside my backyard and I saw him in his car warming it up. I started hearing this weird sound coming from his backyard. It was kind of a high pitched sound, kind of sounded like gibberish you hear on the radio but the noise was high pitched. I listened to that weird noise for about maybe 2 mins max, and now I'm regretting it. It bothered me for some reason. It was uncomfortable to listen to because of it's high pitch. A few minutes later i went back into my house and then i started hearing a ringing noise in my left ear which I think is called tinnitus. After hearing the ringing noise in my left ear, it started hurting a little bit. Right now my left ear is still hurting..I started having anxiety and started to think that my neighbor was mad at me for playing loud music at night so i thought maybe he turned on that weird high pitched radio noise to damage my ear drums. I keep thinking he is out to get me because we don't get along and that he is mad because i play loud music at night. Now i'm worried that my left ear is permanently damage. After that ringing noise, its still hurting and i think im experiencing some hearing loss in the left ear. Feels like the hearing ability in my left ear is greatly reduced. I keep covering my right ear up to see if I can hear anything with my left ear. I still can hear but i feel like the hearing ability in my left ear is greatly reduced. And then I did something that maybe i shouldnt do. I googled "causes of tinnitus" and then the first thing that popped up was "The most common cause of tinnitus is damage and loss of the tiny sensory hair cells in the cochlea of the inner ear. This tends to happen as people age, and it can also result from prolonged exposure to excessively loud noise. Hearing loss may coincide with tinnitus."

Now I'm having a lot of anxiety about this and my left ear is still hurting. I dont know what to do. It is morning now and I haven't slept because i drank too much coffee last night. I googled to see if sleep deprivation causes tinnitus and it turns out it can cause ringing in the ears if you havent slept but the weird thing is that I used to stay up all night regularly and I never experienced ringing in the ears or even pain in the ears or any kind of hearing loss.  This makes me think the weird high pitched noise that came from my neighbors house caused damage to my left ear. Now im thinking what if he deliberately turned on that noise because he knew that I was outside and still awake and then he went inside his car so that he wouldnt be exposed to the noise. I don't know if the pain in the left ear will stop and i don't know if the hearing reduction is permanent. I enjoy listening to music a lot.. I hope this is not a permanent thing :( i am too young to have permanent hearing loss in one ear.

Edited by Douglas

I've got tinnitus mate. It's annoying but the best thing you can do is distract your ears with different noises such as soothing music to distract your ears. That helps me with mine ? Try not to listen to too much loud music, it does damage your ears but tinnitus is a common side effect from listening to music. Before diagnosed everytime I came back from a gig, the whole next day I'd have a ringing in my idea. However going to so many gigs over the years has resulted in a ringing in my ears that honestly comes and goes. If I think about it it's there, and when it is I simply put on some music for a bit so my ears can focus on something else. Hope this helps mate?? also your neighbour may just be trying to be nice to your doggo. I know I shouldn't but sometimes I pet neighbours cats if I'm walking by or I say hello. People are animal lovers, maybe just talk to your neighbour and just mention to him that although you think it's a nice thought if you wouldn't mind as your dog was becoming overweight ? Job sorted, no conflict needed just a little communication between two people who want to get along more than get angry with eachother. It'll be the best for the both of you ??

Guest OCDhavenobrain

There are a lot of what ifs in your text. You need to stop analyze the situation and please do not go after "answers" to this situation you are in. Instead, shift your focus to something else.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
  • Ashley changed the title to Afaid of Hearing damage, help