Leaving the house after 7 years

Tomorrow I will be leaving the house for the first time in 7 years. The house where I have been living with my mother urgently needs work doing on it (especially my room because of my OCD), and then she may have to sell it, so I'm unlikely to be coming back. I will be living on my own for the first time too.

I am terrified, but also hopeful things can now start to get better. I will be having therapy soon as well.

A big thank you to everyone I have met on here who has helped to get me to this stage. I could not even be considering it without your support.

:thankyousign:

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww that's great. I know how frightening the thought of this can be. It can get better believe me. I was housebound for years and now have a very active life with some OCD ups and downs. Good luck tomorrow!

You should be incredibly proud of how much you’re achieving Lost...you’re proof that with hard work and determination we can all start to turn things around.

You’re an inspiration, very best of luck for tomorrow?

Thank you all. :) I'm going to need all the luck I can get!!! It all feels a bit unreal. I have a busy schedule of appointments booked as well, starting with the optician's on Tuesday so I can see where I'm going, and the doctor on Thursday about a breast lump I've had for a while. Then I need to get my badly neglected teeth sorted...

I'm sure I will be here panicking tomorrow.

Good luck Lost for tomorrow and all of your appointments. This might be really hard but it will be one of the best things you've ever done. I barely left the house for 4 years in my twenties, neglected my health, social life etc. Best thing I did was break that trend, you can do this :)xx

Hi there Where are you moving to? People are celebrating your move without knowing about your new accommodation. That is strange. Where are you moving to? Did you have a choice? Take care: hope all will be well.

Edited by Angst
18 minutes ago, Angst said:

Hi there Where are you moving to? People are celebrating your move without knowing about your new accommodation. That is strange. Where are you moving to? Did you have a choice? Take care: hope all will be well.

Thank you, Angst. Beyond the 9 days in the guest house, I'm really not sure where I'll be moving to! I am waiting for a call back from the council. I don't really have a choice but to go as the house is in such a bad state, but that is at least partly my fault because of my OCD etc and not having people in before it got this bad. I should have gone a long time ago, but couldn't face it. Hopefully this will be the fresh start I need.

3 minutes ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

Thank you, Angst. Beyond the 9 days in the guest house, I'm really not sure where I'll be moving to! I am waiting for a call back from the council. I don't really have a choice but to go as the house is in such a bad state, but that is at least partly my fault because of my OCD etc and not having people in before it got this bad. I should have gone a long time ago, but couldn't face it. Hopefully this will be the fresh start I need.

I really hope it is. I can really identify with you. Thank god when my hoarding OCD got really bad I was able to do something. This something involved having  a little bit of money to employ people. Please keep posting. I think the forum can provide support. Your attitude is great and positive. You can do it.

33 minutes ago, Angst said:

I really hope it is. I can really identify with you. Thank god when my hoarding OCD got really bad I was able to do something. This something involved having  a little bit of money to employ people. Please keep posting. I think the forum can provide support. Your attitude is great and positive. You can do it.

Thank you, Angst. We are having professionals in to clean and take everything away. For the second time in my life I am losing most of my possessions and heading to a guest house with what is salvageable. I am determined this will be the last time!

23 minutes ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

Thank you, Angst. We are having professionals in to clean and take everything away. For the second time in my life I am losing most of my possessions and heading to a guest house with what is salvageable. I am determined this will be the last time!I 

I have been there! With the professionals and cleaning but not the change of address. Are you going to be there when they do this? Most people are not. I speak from experience. Therapy helps. 

I’ll be doing the same soon! My room is in a terrible state and we need to get the professionals in. I don’t want to live in the room while the work is done. Best of luck Lost. ? 

Edited by daja

Hey lost. When it gets to be too much, slow down and breathe. A few, deep breaths can help you relax and refocus. Push through but take breaks. I will be right there with you.

Edited by PolarBear