Leaving the house after 7 years

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi BelAnna,

Sorry I didn't see your message before. Just came to the thread to give a quick update. Sorry I haven't written for a while, I have been struggling with lots of things and also struggling to keep up with everything that's happening at the moment!

I'm currently staying with a family friend - have been for a couple of weeks - as the council haven't managed to find me anywhere yet. I need to leave soon though.

Lots to write about once things are more settled, but just wanted to say I've got my first therapy session tomorrow.

35 minutes ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

Hi BelAnna,

Sorry I didn't see your message before. Just came to the thread to give a quick update. Sorry I haven't written for a while, I have been struggling with lots of things and also struggling to keep up with everything that's happening at the moment!

I'm currently staying with a family friend - have been for a couple of weeks - as the council haven't managed to find me anywhere yet. I need to leave soon though.

Lots to write about once things are more settled, but just wanted to say I've got my first therapy session tomorrow.

Wow, you're doing so well to cope with all the changes- I'd really struggle with dealing with that with contamination OCD so you are doing so well. 

Good luck for your first therapy sessions tomorrow!! Is it CBT that you're starting? 

Thank you :) The therapy session was OK. If I'm honest, my mind wasn't really on it that much though as I was busy worrying about housing. I've got another appointment in a fortnight. I think I only get 6 sessions though.

I have to move out of where I am today. The council are putting me in temporary accommodation, but it could be anywhere in the county and far from ideal, but I will have to cope somehow.

I am glad you had your first therapy session Lost :thumbup: That is great news :57439eb60db27_thumbup:

Always remember that you are doing a great job. 

I hope the council put you in a temporary accommodation with a convenient location.

big HUG:hug:

23 hours ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

it could be anywhere in the county and far from ideal, but I will have to cope somehow.

You will, and you are!!!!!!

If we look where you were at the start of this thread and some of your achievements that I know you have faced in the last few weeks you are not just coping, you are really moving forward Lost.  

You've got this!

:thankyousign:

The Travelodge where they have placed me isn't as far away as I'd feared.

I had an er interesting day on Thursday. I went to buy some food and stuff. I had to walk much further to the supermarkets than I’d thought, then lug the heavy shopping back. It poured with rain and hailed and I got soaked. I got lost, then managed to trip over and land on the pavement, slightly injuring myself. Someone asked if I was OK, so I took the opportunity of asking for directions. I had to ask someone else before I finally found the Travelodge again. They kept saying it’s there, you can see it, but I couldn’t see it!
I’m really clumsy, I drop stuff all over the place, spill things, walk into things etc. ALL THE TIME. I thought getting new glasses would help with that, but clearly not...

Have also had a lot of stress worrying about my mum who isn't well and has fallen twice.

Hi Lost

I'm glad you're not as far away as you feared.  

I also fall over, get flustered, bang into things etc - I like to see it as an endearing trait :) you're doing incredibly well, give yourself lots of credit for everything you've achieved, it's incredible. 

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. is she far away from you now? do you get to see her a lot? xx

13 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

Hi Lost

I'm glad you're not as far away as you feared.  

I also fall over, get flustered, bang into things etc - I like to see it as an endearing trait :) you're doing incredibly well, give yourself lots of credit for everything you've achieved, it's incredible. 

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. is she far away from you now? do you get to see her a lot? xx

Thanks GBG :)

I'm glad it's not just me. :D

She's about 14 miles away, so not too bad, but as someone who's not used to travelling it seems quite far to me! I haven't seen her for a few days. She seems to have some sort of bug at the moment, so I'm worried about that as an emetophobe.

Hi Lost,

That's so impressive! I'm really sorry you fell outside like that- that must have been so stressful and upsetting and you did so well to ask for directions. 

Are you ok at the Travelodge? Will you be there for a while now? 

I'm sorry to hear your Mum is ill too, that's horrible- I hope she's recovering from the falls and that the virus passes quickly. Is she staying with friends now? 

Are you feeling free-er now that you're away from the house or is it mostly overwhelming/stressful? 

Thinking of you! I'm so inspired, to face my fears, by your awesome achievements!

10 minutes ago, BelAnna said:

Hi Lost,

That's so impressive! I'm really sorry you fell outside like that- that must have been so stressful and upsetting and you did so well to ask for directions. 

Are you ok at the Travelodge? Will you be there for a while now? 

I'm sorry to hear your Mum is ill too, that's horrible- I hope she's recovering from the falls and that the virus passes quickly. Is she staying with friends now? 

Are you feeling free-er now that you're away from the house or is it mostly overwhelming/stressful? 

Thinking of you! I'm so inspired, to face my fears, by your awesome achievements!

Thank you, BelAnna. It was rather! My shoe came off too lol. I had a shower and cleaned my grazed knees but just wiped over my clothes with dettol wipes as I can't wash them.

Yeah, I'm coping OK at the Travelodge. Having my own space helps with my stress levels and social anxiety, but I think having people around to 'copy' helped my OCD.

I think in some ways I feel freer, as I'm in 'outside mode' but it is quite overwhelming too.

I'm booked in here till Wednesday, I'm not sure what happens after that.

Thank you. Mum is staying in a self catering cottage for a week now, but I don't know where she's going after that. The virus or whatever it is is still affecting her. You can imagine how I feel about that!!

Aw, thank you. You're doing so well facing all the fears you're facing too. ☺️

4 hours ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

Thank you, BelAnna. It was rather! My shoe came off too lol. I had a shower and cleaned my grazed knees but just wiped over my clothes with dettol wipes as I can't wash them.

Yeah, I'm coping OK at the Travelodge. Having my own space helps with my stress levels and social anxiety, but I think having people around to 'copy' helped my OCD.

I think in some ways I feel freer, as I'm in 'outside mode' but it is quite overwhelming too.

I'm booked in here till Wednesday, I'm not sure what happens after that.

Thank you. Mum is staying in a self catering cottage for a week now, but I don't know where she's going after that. The virus or whatever it is is still affecting her. You can imagine how I feel about that!!

Aw, thank you. You're doing so well facing all the fears you're facing too. ☺️

Aw no!! seriously that's great that you coped though! 

What do you have planned for this week?

I can definitely see why you wouldn't want to visit your Mum at the moment! Emetophobia is the worst!

Is your OCD causing a lot of problems or is the amount of ERP that you're doing really helping? 

Also do you have a hospital appointment coming up or was that a while ago now?

Edited by BelAnna

Thanks. I haven't got a lot planned for this week so far, other than hunting for more permanent housing. I'm planning to walk to the shops again tomorrow, but I think I might get a taxi back!

I might be meeting up with an old school friend at the weekend.

I think the ERP is helping, but I can feel myself sliding back again since my mum's illness started and I'm avoiding more things.

I can't remember if I posted about getting my biopsy results?

2 hours ago, Emsie said:

Hope you're doing ok, Lost. You are doing so incredibly well. I hope it's going well looking for more permanent housing. Did you get your biopsy results yet? I hope all is well of course. X

Thank you. Yes, sorry, I went to the hospital a while ago but with so many things happening I forgot to update here. The biopsy results came back clear, but they still want to operate. I want to wait a bit though. My experience going back the second time was very different from the first and they weren't very understanding of my OCD.

9 hours ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

Thank you. Yes, sorry, I went to the hospital a while ago but with so many things happening I forgot to update here. The biopsy results came back clear, but they still want to operate. I want to wait a bit though. My experience going back the second time was very different from the first and they weren't very understanding of my OCD.

Hi Lost, no need to be sorry, you only update what you want to and you’ve so many things happening. I’m so pleased for you that the biopsy results came back clear, that’s brilliant news. I’m sorry that they still want to operate though, have they explained why? Don’t feel you have to answer that, only if you want to as it’s your business.

I’m sorry too they weren’t very understanding of your OCD second time round. I always find/decide anyway that I need to remind medical professionals of my anxiety/OCD as they have so many patients it’s very reasonable that they might forget. Next time you may want to remind them and tell them how you’re feeling. Just a thought and of course you may have already done that. X 

Hi Lost. You are doing well with the council. Hope your Mum is well. Your Mum has an asset - a house- which may not be in a fit state to achieve full market value but has a saleable value to a developer. Your Mum needs good independent advice in order to achieve maximum value. A friend of mine some years ago was in a similar position and came up with a deal with a housing association.

I am in a similar position with kitchen and bathroom work needed and planning to move. Good advice is at times hard to get especially for those of us with mental health conditions in that we are not always robust enough to deal with estate agents and developers.

I was lucky my sister negotiated a deal with an estate agent when we had to sell Mum’s house to pay for care. My sister achieved substantially more than I was able to. She has a background in financial services. Do you have a good negotiator in your extended family?