Leaving the house after 7 years

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

Thanks Emsie :)

You’re so welcome. We are all right behind you. You’ll be ok. Thinking of you and you can do this! Xxx

Edited by Emsie
6 hours ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

Thank you everyone, I will write more later. I woke early with my courage waning, then dozed again and had nightmares where today went terribly, so not the best start, but your support is helping.

A few weeks ago I had to face up to a big fear of mine and I sort of made an effort not to tell myself that it would all be okay but to accept that it was going to be hard and scary..and that I would do my best. It’s okay if it doesn’t have a great start, it’s even okay if you’re really scared all day long. These things will happen, you just have to keep going and get through it, it’ll get less and less scary. Hang in there xx

Thank you everyone. I am here in the guest house! I got thoroughly contaminated in the taxi here, and going shopping in Sainsbury's for supplies. I am exhausted, but OK. No major panic attacks! It all feels a bit surreal. I have made a complete idiot of myself wherever I've been, mostly because I can't see where I'm going and I didn't check the shoes I bought fitted, so I've been struggling to walk. I had to go along all the supermarket aisles peering at everything trying to see what it was. I had to ask for help finding the trolleys! I waited 20 minutes for a taxi that was parked waiting for me a few feet away. Then I had to ask for help getting the guest house door open! That is just a small sample. I felt like a walking disaster area! :lol:

What a day you've had! You've done brilliant Lost, it must have been strange being out. I hope you're managing with your OCD ok. Remember don't listen to the nonsense it's saying. Well done and good luck for tomorrow too x

44 minutes ago, kaheath80 said:

I think it’s amazing all the things you’ve done today considering you haven’t left the house for so long! I’m in awe of you.

Couldn’t agree more.

What you’ve done today took real guts and strength. No wonder you’re shattered, but I bet it also feels so good knowing you did it!

Absolutely, blimmin’ brilliant Lost?

1 hour ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

I had to go along all the supermarket aisles peering at everything trying to see what it was. I had to ask for help finding the trolleys! I waited 20 minutes for a taxi that was parked waiting for me a few feet away.

It's only a few weeks since I challenged you to stand outside your house for one minute.....now look at you :lol:

43 minutes ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

am coping much better than I thought I would!

It can often be the case, the thought being worse than the deed.  Try and remember that :)

1 hour ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

I got thoroughly contaminated in the taxi here, and going shopping in Sainsbury's for supplies..

Nope :no:  Try and re-phrase those sorts of thoughts from today (new broom etc)  You "feel" as if you're contaminated.  OCD makes you "feel" this way but just like all the other fears, they are the false thoughts caused by this disorder.

Sleep well....you deserve it.

16 minutes ago, Caramoole said:

It's only a few weeks since I challenged you to stand outside your house for one minute.....now look at you :lol:

It can often be the case, the thought being worse than the deed.  Try and remember that :)

Nope :no:  Try and re-phrase those sorts of thoughts from today (new broom etc)  You "feel" as if you're contaminated.  OCD makes you "feel" this way but just like all the other fears, they are the false thoughts caused by this disorder.

Sleep well....you deserve it.

Thanks Caramoole. I know, I can hardly believe it myself! I'm not even crying that I want to go home yet. :lol:

I think the hardest part so far is using the guest house toilet. I am going to try showering tomorrow morning, then I have my eye test to go to in the afternoon.

I have done quite a lot of compulsions since arriving at the guest house, but fewer than usual.

I will be getting ready for bed now.

Edited by Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze
55 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Very good, very good!

Thank you.

I'm struggling now. I can't sleep, I feel like I'm suffocating. Whenever I start to drift off I wake up again. My eyes and throat are itchy too. I think I'm maybe having an allergic reaction. This guest house allows pets, so there may have been a dog in here recently. I seem to have swapped one allergen (dust and mould) for another! I need a drink, but if I get up for one and open the fridge door it will make it start making a racket again and it has gone quiet now. If I open a window it will make a noise and also I can't see how to do it. I ache all over.

Edited by Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze

Hi Lost,

Just reading through this thread now. You are an inspiration. Sorry you are having a rough night though :(  I find first nights anywhere new hard and i can imagine it would be harder with all the extra challenges you're taking on. I hope you are able to get back to sleep ok. Is a guest house a shared house situation? Does it have supports as well for you?

Hi Lost :),

I am sorry you can't sleep Lost. Take deep breaths to try to relax now that you have problems to sleep. Your breath is a powerful tool to ease stress. 

Remember that you are doing a great job, feel very proud of yourself. You deserve to sleep well after all the hard work.

Stay strong! You can do it! you can relax and have a good sleep.

big HUG :hug:

Edited by Andrea

I read you were struggling to sleep but even so your other posts have given me a huge smile to start the day with! I'm so pleased for you! This is a massive achievement and I'm proud of you!

Thank you, Phil. :) I haven't had much sleep, but hopefully I'll have a better night tonight now the first night is out of the way.

I keep worrying that the owners of the guest house are going to walk in on me! Do they do that, does anyone know? If I shower should I hang the 'please do not disturb notice on the door?