Great British Bake Off - Channel 4

Ocd still seen as the mental health disorder it's perfectly OK to have a pop at. 

The bake off is very popular so alot of people will have heard that and it helps rubber stamp the accepted view of ocd.

I admit I didn't watch it myself but do you think this is an issue the charity could raise with channel 4 , with a view to at least apologising ? 

I almost feel the name of the disorder needs to be changed to something else.  The term OCD is so far ingrained into the common vernacular I don't think it can be rescued.  TBH I don't really blame people - I use phrases I probably shouldn't like I say I'm so "depressed" about something (when I'm not I'm just joking) or that I've been traumatised by something in a jokey way.  I shouldn't use these phrases I know.  But I think language is a tricky thing. Most people who say "I'm so OCD" are not thinking of the condition OCD, even if when questioned they would say they know it's a serious condition. It's just a turn of phrase.  Like I have a friend who says that about herself, but she is very clued up about the fact that OCD can be very serious.  She is not meaning to be ignorant she is just using a turn of phrase.  

I feel that the term "I'm so OCD" needs to be differentiated from actual OCD the condition.  And I think the only way of doing that is coming up with a different name for the condition.  I've long thought that.  I know it's controversial though. 

Edited by gingerbreadgirl
On 27/08/2019 at 22:27, Gemma7 said:

'A bit ocd' reference to do with measuring ingredients that could have just been edited out. What is wrong with the editing team!? 

Every single workplace I have been in in the past year (3 temp jobs), there have been similar references to ocd by work colleagues. I just let it slide now. It’s similar to people overusing the word ‘like’. Can’t stand it, but can’t change it

12 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I almost feel the name of the disorder needs to be changed to something else.

To be honest, the problem is how people view the condition. So any name change is most likely to have similar problems eventually.  It's my belief what we need to do is change the publics understanding of the complexity and severity of OCD.  Easier said than done of course, so all ideas welcomed.

I have written to Channel 4, well the letter is drafted, will be checked with Sue when she is in the office tomorrow and sent first class tomorrow.

For those that missed it: 

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-great-british-bake-off/on-demand/67794-001  at about 10:36

Narrator: Greatest danger in this first fruitcake challenge is the fruit itself, too much will overwhelm the batter

Cut's to Steph: I'm getting OCD about my numbers 

Immediately cuts back to narrator:  resulting in a stodgy underbaked cake

A totally unnecessary comment for the programme and scene, one line caused so much harm, damage and upset, perpetuates the misconceptions about OCD and all could so easily have been avoided if Channel 4 had edited out.

12 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I almost feel the name of the disorder needs to be changed to something else.

Although, out of interest what name would people suggest, that they feel appropriately describes the condition?

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Non OCD comment...

I watched the GBBO for the first time ever this week (because of this clip) and I actually quite liked it. 

Well at least something good came out of it. Are you going to start baking now? :)