Thoughts of harming child

I get thoughts in my head sometimes about say banging his head against the wall or throwing him down etc.. these thoughts are very distressing and what worries me more is that I get them when I’m annoyed at him for instance when he won’t go asleep or he’s crying non stop etc.. does this mean because I’m annoyed when I get them that I actually want to do these things and I am a horrible mum? I love my little boy more than anything in the world but don’t understand why I have these thoughts when I’m angry. I thought you only got these type of intrusive thoughts randomly not when actually annoyed. X

Hi @Confused.com1

I get harm thoughts as well, mostly about myself, but I completely understand how distressing and horrible they are! I get these thoughts a lot more when I'm in some kind of heightened emotional state. When I'm really upset I'll get these intrusive thoughts even though I don't actually want to do it, they just appear in those moments. I think that when you're angry, your emotions are just on active mode and that leaves you open to getting intrusive thoughts. You shouldn't feel like a horrible mum, you aren't to blame for having these thoughts. 

Hi Confused :)

No you are not a horrible mum. Thoughts like that are common when you're annoyed, it's just your brain coming up with random suggestions based on the situation, they definitely don't mean anything. Are you seeking any help for your OCD? 

Hi @Confused.com1

These are just thoughts....nothing more.   The fact that you are worried about hem shows its OCD and nothing more. There's a brilliant link I shared a few years ago about this which is very helpful....I'll try and find it and re post it here for you.xxx

There is no real danger XXX promise x

I totally agree with Bodge. I was tormented by thoughts about hurting children for 20 + years with varying degrees of severity.

Did I ever hurt a child? No.

Did I (when I felt well enough) have loving and trusting relationships with children. Yes.