GP ICE Breaker

It’s a great format and it’s nice and simple to follow.  People could also cross out those that don’t apply to them, which is great too.

You’ve got lots of themes covered and I know you can’t include everything but, and I hope you don’t mind me saying, but I personally couldn’t tick any of the first boxes to describe my themes/worries because there’s specific detail within each statement that doesn’t apply to me at all. 

So, (and this is just a thought as I know how much hard work and time goes in to getting things right and formatting) could there maybe be a more generic statement that would cover many themes. Something like....’Irrational fears that cause anxiety, leading to compulsive safety seeking behaviours’.......not great wording from me there, but basically something that would cover lots of themes. It would cover OCD about health too that Caramoole mentioned. 

Thank you for all of your hard work and this is such a great tool for people and I hope you don’t mind me making a suggestion. X

Edited by Emsie

Thanks everyone, it's been really helpful to get all your feedback.

The original Ice Breaker was the brainchild of a forum user (was it yours Caramoole?) and's been downloaded hundreds of times over the years.   So I absolutely welcome the forums help in developing it further, thank you ?

I will leave the current version up for now, and if she's willing liase with Gemma to update where appropriate and represent back to the forum before changing the online version.

4 hours ago, Gemma7 said:

By health issues, do you mean health anxiety? Is that a separate condition to OCD or is it the same? 

I'm not a huge fan of labels because one size rarely fits all.......but yes, I suppose they could be either or.  Health concerns (or health anxiety) forms a major part of OCD (imho).  Whether it's fear of HIV, heart problems, high blood pressure, lumps & bumps, cancer they have all the hallmark of OCD with constant checking, reassurance-seeking, , rumination, researching.....obsessions & compulsions and as such (I believe) to be classed as OCD

11 hours ago, Ashley said:

The original Ice Breaker was the brainchild of a forum user (was it yours Caramoole?)

I was partly right.  :clapping:

I found the original thread, it was Caramoole's idea, which the wonderful ScottOCDid brought to life. 

I want to thank everybody who is helping with this, Gemma for pushing me to get it done and helping with the rewrite and you guys for the feedback it feels like a real team effort.   Hopefully between us we can make it even better. Version 2.4 attached.

Those items lined through in red I have made appropriate changes.

On 04/09/2019 at 18:05, Caramoole said:

Fear of harm to self and under the problem section I do think it should contain "I frequently feel very anxious"

With these...

On 04/09/2019 at 18:22, Caramoole said:

I know it's difficult to include everything because of available space but health issues is another biggie

On 04/09/2019 at 21:24, Emsie said:

I know you can’t include everything but, and I hope you don’t mind me saying, but I personally couldn’t tick any of the first boxes to describe my themes/worries because there’s specific detail within each statement that doesn’t apply to me at all. 

As you both rightly say, we have very little space and can only include the more common aspects.  The main purpose of the document is more about informing the GP the person has OCD, so not so much going into lots of details about in what capacity.  So because we are space limited I have partly got around this by adding an 'other' and allowing people to write in their obsession/compulsion.

With the other examples listed, they are meant to be loose examples (I guess people could line out the non relevant parts), but the question is could they be reworded? Are we missing major ones?

On 04/09/2019 at 21:24, Emsie said:

could there maybe be a more generic statement that would cover many themes. Something like....’Irrational fears that cause anxiety, leading to compulsive safety seeking behaviours’.

I have added in 'I spend significant time each day feeling trapped by unwanted and intrusive thoughts that make me worry and become anxious and often lead to rituals and behaviours to prevent and things happening' above the examples, this is a cover all as you say.   I try and avoid using 'irrational' because to the person with the thought, they can often feel very real.  I wonder about adding often there in red? I haven't at the moment. As we know, there is always compulsions but some people don't recognise their compulsions (i.e. those who think they have Pure O).

More feedback welcomed please Gemma/Caramoole/Emsie. 

GP Ice Breaker v2.4.pdf

The paragraph above the examples doesn't make sense it needs changed. I think that a generic option that covers all issues would be better than having an 'other' or having more, otherwise it will be too busy and overcomplicated. 

1 hour ago, Gemma7 said:

The paragraph above the examples doesn't make sense it needs changed. I think that a generic option that covers all issues would be better than having an 'other' or having more, otherwise it will be too busy and overcomplicated. 

Hi Ashley, 

Thanks so much for this. I agree with Gemma above, I think a generic statement that covers all would be better within the tick box section.  One reason is a sufferer can then quickly tick a box and it doesn’t become a problem for them on how they should put their fears/theme in to words. Plus, it gives them privacy if they do not want to say. I do feel there needs to be a simple generic statement as OCD has so many manifestations. 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

With the other examples listed, they are meant to be loose examples (I guess people could line out the non relevant parts), but the question is could they be reworded?

With the new health one (it’s great that it’s been added) and a generic statement that covers everything else I think it’s great and they don’t need rewording. 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I try and avoid using 'irrational' because to the person with the thought, they can often feel very real. 

Completely agree with the above. You could maybe just call them fears? 

Thanks for all your hard work, Ashley and Gemma. X

Edited by Emsie
1 hour ago, Gemma7 said:

6 minutes ago, Emsie said:

Thanks so much for this. I agree with Gemma above, I think a generic statement that covers all would be better within the tick box section.  

Thanks both, I think I understand the point you're describing.   Modified in 2.5, is this better?

GP Ice Breaker v2.5.pdf

Not sure, find it too wordy and also not generic enough. Some sufferers don't feel anxiety, some feel disgust, so I think the generic term distress is better. I'd keep it simpler like, 

'Other unwanted intrusive thoughts that cause great distress and make me feel I need to do particular rituals and behaviours.'