OCD awareness week

So have just been looking at the dates and every website seems to have a different week set out ahh! Not sure which one to pick and am probably overthinking it all but was hoping to introduce my friends to it this year 

It's generally the second full week in October, which is what the US IOCF created.  They always start it on a Sunday though, so 13-19th October, which I realise due to date confusion we were not matching so I have aligned our dates accordingly.  

I am generally a little disillusioned with the concept of 'weeks', it seems to me far too many organisations miss the point, it should be about promoting 'awareness' outside the existing communities in our opinion. I am also concerned we don't corner ourselves into one week and ignoring the concept the other 51 weeks, which is why last year we tried #OCDtober to allow awareness initiatives across the month.  I am also planning a project for next year which will be across the year and allow people to get involved if and when they want. 

For anybody that would like to get involved in this years OCD Awareness Week, I will re-print a series of handouts and posters which we are happy to freely distribute, just email me office@ocduk.org   

But long term I would welcome your ideas if we should continue to get involved, suggestions and ideas for involvement in the week that we can do (with our limited budget). 

I think I am getting, "week fatigue".

How ever if it's a thing, it would be odd for you not to be involved.

But of a catch 22.

By the way OCDtober, made me smile.

I think one thing is plenty of people are "aware" of OCD, but not many understand it, or its affects.

Sorry if this is problems, not solutions, but if life was easy I'd be better at it.

1 hour ago, Closed for repairs said:

I think one thing is plenty of people are "aware" of OCD, but not many understand it, or its affects.

I think this is my point to be honest.  We need the awareness week to reach people and make them aware that what they're aware of OCD is most likely wrong!    The problem is how we do that with limited resources. 

16 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I think this is my point to be honest.  We need the awareness week to reach people and make them aware that what they're aware of OCD is most likely wrong!    The problem is how we do that with limited resources. 

Ha! If you crack that, you will be in so much demand you won't have time for OCD!

One of the problems is that the media likes stories that fit neatly into catogaries, so the OCD story is:

"This is Bob he's been turning his lights off for the past hour,

We tried to get him to wash his hands for us as he probably does this too, thats OCD right? but he got cross.

Cut to studio anchor

" Fascinating, I think we are a a bit OCD, I know I am, I like things tidy, now here's the weather"

I mean let's face it the only reason they got so interested in "Pure O" is because they think it's all young women thinking about sex, 

Edited by Closed for repairs
Fat fingers typing error.
1 minute ago, Closed for repairs said:

I mean let's face it the only reason they got so interested in "Pure O" is because they think it's all young women thinking about sex

Oh so cynical....

But also so 100% accurate I suspect.