OCD and work responsibility

I’ve started a degree to become a health care professional and have had OCD for many years. I was hoping it wouldn’t interfere too much with the job. However I’m unsure as to whether I’m going to be able to complete the degree due to OCD :(

I get very anxious with responsibility which I have found out it has quite a bit of.

I was wondering if anyone else is a health care professional who has similar worries regarding responsibilities, which causes them to think loads about if they have done the right thing etc? And how they manage. As I’m really struggling to know whether I should continue this course or leave due to the OCD :(

Thank you for reading :) 

You have started your studies and presumably feel a little unsure. Are you studying in your home town or have you moved to a new area to study?

All professional jobs have a lot of responsibility , especially in the areas of health and education where you are in day to day contact with patients/students and are helping them to become healthier or helping to form their minds. Does your course include a practical element such as you are in contact with patients? This would be the ideal testing. It is in this period that activity becomes regularised.

The medical system will have quality assurance procedures. Or should have. For example when you give out medicine on a hospital ward or nursery home things will be logged, there be a special trolley and records taken. A responsible person is helped by - needs- requires - a responsible system. You will be supported by it.

I have cared in a non professional capacity for people with serious illnesses which involved dressing wounds and the administration of eye drops to forestall the occurrence of blindness. I was worried about things but with time the administration of therapy became automatic. 

My feeling is that you should not succumb to OCD driven anxiety. You question contains an inbuilt assumption: that OCD will remain with you for ever and a day. Is this realistic? I think you should continue and review after a term. By then, I think your initial panic will have subsided.