Clomipramine

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all having the best day possible.

I am considering changing medications from Flouxetine to Clomipramine as per my psychiatrist recommendation as it's supposed to be a more effective med for OCD.

Just hoping to get advice or opinions from others who have done this? I'm really nervous to change meds.

Thank you.xx

The problem is "supposed" is not a term that can be used when it comes to psychotropic medication - in my view. Some people react positively to specific drugs and some people don't. To me prescribed medication for psychiatric conditions is a hit and miss affair. It took a long time for me to "find" a medication that seemed to help.

If your psychiatrist is suggesting this you might want consider it by weighting up the pros and cons and having a look - without excessive ruminating - about potential side effects. Also if you have confidence in the psychiatrist and believe he/she has put thought into this suggestion I'd take that into consideration also.

I'm sorry if this isn't the answer you were seeking but I genuinely believe we all react differently to medication as I have found. All the best, Phil.

Hi Phil,

Thank you so much for your comment and apologies for taking so long to reply.

I agree with the 'supposed to' reference. I'm worried that while flouxetine may not have managed my OCD as effectively as it could I'm putting myself in the position of another med being even less effective. I'm due to start therapy soon too so the thought of that whilst also going through a medication change is scary. 

I've started to reduce my flouxetine this week from 80mg to 60mg and in two weeks will reduce it again to 40mg. Two weeks after that I will introduce Clomipramine on a low is dose and increase as per psychiatrist recommendation.

What I'm most worried about it that my mood will completely nose dive during the change. I do have access to diazepam if my anxiety level gets too much so hopefully that will be helpful if needed.

Thanks again, I hope you're having a good day?