Thought, currently dormant at the back of my mind

Does anyone else get to a stage where the thought lies dormant for a bit, but it is there and I know it is there and I want to bring it to the forefront. I have a nice weekend planned and it doesn't want me to.

I am still having the thought although have been mildly better as I have let another less distressing thought take over. 

How can I acknowledge its presence without ruminating? My therapist says 'just say oh there you are, that thought again, thanks for that, bye now' but that urge to ruminate is so strong in case I have done what I think.

Does anyone else use the above technique?

Yes, it's just the standard, 'Let the thought(s) be there'. The dormancy you mention is fine. The rumination is not. Remember, the therapeutic approach isn't necessarily to feel comfortable. Want to have that nice weekend? Put yourself in the driver's seat and don't jump to OCD's tune.  

Have a nice weekend! ?

Hi mate sounds like you have pure o as well? The same here, thought/worry comes into head, severe anxiety hits like a thunderbolt, then start thinking about it to try and disprove it, and then feel better for a 'short' while.  Then the theme of the worry/thought will change and the same thing starts again with the new worry?

I've even got to the stage whereby although I don't try to think directly about the worry I try to remind myself of the reassurance I previously got by thinking about it and therefore it can't be a real worry. But then eventually I no longer get the feeling that I really was reassured and then I feel the need to go back and do the original whole worry analyst again... 

I've managed to get to the stage where your explaining, and although it feels a bit better, it's as if you've got the toast under the grill cooking and you can't really concentrate on anything without the constant worry of it burning..... 

Edited by MentalChecker
2 hours ago, MentalChecker said:

Hi mate sounds like you have pure o as well? The same here, thought/worry comes into head, severe anxiety hits like a thunderbolt, then start thinking about it to try and disprove it, and then feel better for a 'short' while.  Then the theme of the worry/thought will change and the same thing starts again with the new worry?

I've even got to the stage whereby although I don't try to think directly about the worry I try to remind myself of the reassurance I previously got by thinking about it and therefore it can't be a real worry. But then eventually I no longer get the feeling that I really was reassured and then I feel the need to go back and do the original whole worry analyst again... 

I've managed to get to the stage where your explaining, and although it feels a bit better, it's as if you've got the toast under the grill cooking and you can't really concentrate on anything without the constant worry of it burning..... 

Yes I ruminate a lot. I don't worry about bad things happening though as such for this few years of my life it has been over past events, which I find more distressing to me as there is an element of truth to them which always gets distorted, my therapist this morning may do some rewind therapy, which means I don't need to tell her directly the thought but relive it, which will be distressing but I am desperate. 

Hope you get some peace soon.

6 hours ago, banthethoughts said:

Yes I ruminate a lot. I don't worry about bad things happening though as such for this few years of my life it has been over past events, which I find more distressing to me as there is an element of truth to them which always gets distorted, my therapist this morning may do some rewind therapy, which means I don't need to tell her directly the thought but relive it, which will be distressing but I am desperate. 

Hope you get some peace soon.

Hi Mate I can't believe it. Take a look through some of my posts and you will see that my problems are EXACTLY the same.......

I hope it gives you some comfort knowing that we have a similar theme and therefore most likely it is just the OCD monster at work here... 

18 hours ago, MentalChecker said:

Hi Mate I can't believe it. Take a look through some of my posts and you will see that my problems are EXACTLY the same.......

I hope it gives you some comfort knowing that we have a similar theme and therefore most likely it is just the OCD monster at work here... 

Last week I could cope, this week I have gone back to being hugely depressive over 'letting the thoughts be'. I need to start taking anti depressant's I keep putting it off but this situation is making me depressed. I have been abusing sleeping pills because that is the only time I get peace and I am worried that if I start on the meds I wont be able to sleep or take my sleeping tablets (non prescription).

2 minutes ago, banthethoughts said:

Last week I could cope, this week I have gone back to being hugely depressive over 'letting the thoughts be'. I need to start taking anti depressant's I keep putting it off but this situation is making me depressed. I have been abusing sleeping pills because that is the only time I get peace and I am worried that if I start on the meds I wont be able to sleep or take my sleeping tablets (non prescription).

I've can't take drugs paranoid about getting addicted to things and with an addictive personality like I have it would worry me. 

I got trapped in a cycle this morning of reassuring myself about a previous reassurance and even though I was getting the feeling each time that the anxiety went and I said fine meaning I was reassured from the previous reassurance I was trying to reassure myself about (if that makes sense) I couldnt stop doing it....

This afternoon is better and I'm now thinking that ANYTHING that involves either checking or reassurance is OCD and needs to be ignored and its working for me so far and is a better afternoon ?

Hopefully the above will help you. ?