Relapsing in Checking

I recently moved into my new uni house and since being here I haven't been checking like I usually do and I thought I was getting better. However, today I felt an uneasiness in my chest and have been feeling more anxious the past few days and today I ended up getting stuck in a checking of the oven and doors cycle and I kept trying to stop by saying I'll just check one more time but every time I went to stop my anxiety would return. I know I need to go to the doctor to talk about my ocd and get a formal diagnosis but i have anxiety about going and I am also worried what my housemates will think of my compulsions as they do not know I have ocd/ocd tendencies (or at least i haven't told them I have it).  

Hi Radclyffe :)

Sorry to hear you're struggling. It's common for OCD symptoms to reduce in a change environment and then come back again and I think it's important that you look to getting help with your OCD. What is it about going to your doctor that worries you? Try to remember that doctors will have probably met hundreds of people like you, so to them it's just a normal appointment. 

It's natural to worry what others might think but on the whole people are understanding and considerate, but tell them in you own time. 

The priority is to kick OCD's butt. To do this you need to ask for a referral for cognitive behavioural therapy. While waiting for CBT, i recommend the self-help book Break free from OCD. It will take you through what to expect in CBT and might even help you make a start :)

OCD-UK have developed a gp-icebreaker if you struggle to communicate your problem to your doctor, 

https://www.ocduk.org/gp-ice-breaker/

There is also a young persons guide that you can either download or request a copy of. Hopefully, this can show you that you aren't alone in your struggles.

http://www.ocduk.org/teens/

Hi Gemma, 

Thank you and I have anxiety about going places alone and talking to people I don't know so I struggle to go to the doctors and i get really bad almost paralysing anxiety at the thought of making phone calls so it is difficult to even make an appointment. I also have a worry that the doctor will tell me i am not really ocd and i'm faking it. I know i need to go get help I've come close to a few times including telling some of my family and a close friend. Thank  you for the recommendations I will look over them now.

I don't agree with avoiding anxiety but right now your wellbeing is of most importance so maybe you could book your appointment online or in person. Perhaps taking someone with you for support, you don't have to tell them why you're going. If those things aren't possible then do you think you could still try to get to the doctors? Many sufferers worry the doctor won't believe them, I did. But I just told my doctor I thought I had OCD and explained why. They didn't question it at all :)

I realised last night after an incident with a friend I need to face my anxiety and go to the doctors to get real help because I dont want to emotionally hurt my friends or family and be a drain on them. I know it'll benefit me in the long run. Thank you for all your help :)