OCD Awareness Week 2019

Not sure which week it is this year, but as I have myself been recently struggling I have been explaining a lot about OCD, and my OCD, to my friends in the village. 

Plus spreading awareness of the conference coming to Northampton this year. 

Edited by taurean

It's 13-19th October.

I am not planning on doing a great deal this year, other than some online work.  We don't have resources to do much and instead I am working on plans to do more throughout 2020.  I am happy to send handouts/posters to anybody that wishes to get involved and promote during OCD Awareness Week.

So far the café and the pub have taken some of the pack and people I have spoken to are horrified at the high statistic of sufferers, around 1.2% of the population, and read some of the myths about OCD cards. 

Edited by taurean

Am pleased to report I dropped some material into my lovely Boots at Sixfields this morning. 

Early this week I will go to the surgery. They display a lot of material there so I am hopeful they will support us. 

All material now out for display around the area. 

Our doctors surgery has 22,000 patients and they have taken some. 

Also a local chemist has taken the remaining material. 

All good :)

Yes I am very happy with my own little contribution. And I am really pleased as to how OCD-UK's young ambassador programme is developing. 

Those kids will be powerful spreaders of awareness right into an area of especial need within their regular circle. 

I find this spread of awareness really helps me cast off any stigma for having OCD. 

Here is how we can help others. And I no longer feel reticent talking about my OCD. 

Do I get adverse responses? Of course I do. 

I will engage with that person if reasoned debate seems possible - otherwise I just let it be and move on. 

My worst moments of awareness spreading. Two young doctors asking me the theme of my OCD. 

I was totally honest with them. They were shocked horrified worried uncertain how to deal. I told them a little bit more about why OCD thoughts are false, exaggerated or revulsive, and they seemed to trust me and that was good. 

Edited by taurean