Support my own therapy behavioural work and support the charity at the same time

The ongoing exposure work is necessary of course to lower the anxiety and prevent the compulsion to avoid taking hold. 

But as you surmise, the problem holding you back is the cognive reason being applied, through the OCD core belief, as to why that area of the floor continues to be considered bad. 

To a non-sufferer of this theme, it's just a piece of floor. The aim of the cognitive work would be for the meaning of that core belief to gradually fade away so the floor then becomes just a piece of floor. 

There is a latent theme of my OCD which is magical thinking (in my sister's OCD this is more to the fore). 

As a child aged around 8 we moved into my uncle's house, as he was working in London and sharing a small flat there. 

My bedroom was his former bedroom, furnished with his books and collectables. 

On top of the bookcase was a small framed picture of a man of classical origin. This picture scared me, it was "bad". I was scared of it, didn't like it. 

I could have tried to avoid it, removed it, turned it over. Amazingly I knew that wouldn't help. All I knew was logic and I knew that wasn't the answer. 

I had to take the "bad" out of that picture - had to be in that room with that picture without being consumed by thoughts of the picture. 

I didn't engage in what I now know as compulsions - try and find out who the man was etc. 

I decided it just needed to become "a picture" in my mind, same as for anyone else. 

I started to see it differently just as a picture. It started to slip into the background as I had challenged and removed the bad label from it. I stopped noticing it. 

It's the core belief being attributed to things that fuels the obsession, not the thing itself. 

When we defuse that core belief through the understanding element of CBT, we may then find ERP becomes successful. 

So yes, the seeding issue, the core belief why that area of the floor is deemed bad, is the problem fuelling the obsession. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Andrea said:

Hi Ashley :),

I hope you can do it tomorrow Ashley. Remember that you are strong. You can do it :57439eb60db27_thumbup: 

Thank you Andrea, I am!  I can do this, done it before, can do it again.  

The feeling to do this is not as strong this morning, but hopefully as the day goes on. 

13 hours ago, Ashley said:

Thank you Andrea, I am!  I can do this, done it before, can do it again.  

The feeling to do this is not as strong this morning, but hopefully as the day goes on. 

Of course YOU ARE Ashley. I am absolutely convinced that you can do this. Just keep applying the tools you know to face your OCD. Keep trying, don't give up. You will succeed :57439eb60db27_thumbup:

3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Beard compliments also accepted. I liked it until it started turning grey.. .I blame OCD stress  :a1_cheesygrin:

No the grey is good, very distinguished :) and makes you look a little wiser, despite us all knowing you're not ?

15 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Beard compliments also accepted. I liked it until it started turning grey.. .I blame OCD stress  :a1_cheesygrin:

Don't worry Ashley, I like my father went grey around your age, so why not reframe it as hereditary ?

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

About 30 minutes ago.....

No hand washed, sitting in my chair, touched phone to take photo and have been and sat on my sofa.  Anxiety was up, slightly dropping now.  Go me!!!

20191010_135754r.jpg

Blimmin’ brilliant. If I wore one I’d  take my ? off to you mate, massive well done for kicking its butt?

5 hours ago, Ashley said:

No hand washed, sitting in my chair, touched phone to take photo and have been and sat on my sofa.  Anxiety was up, slightly dropping now.  Go me!!!

20191010_135754r.jpg

Amazing! A huge well done Ashley! Be very proud. ?????? x

8 hours ago, Ashley said:

20191010_135754r.jpg

Brilliant!!:clap::clap::clap:keep going Ashley, you are doing an outstanding job :57439eb60db27_thumbup:

Thank you all. I have to go again today, once is never enough. A saying used to describe OCD compulsions, but also equally important in recovery... wish me luck :)

13 hours ago, Avo said:

I Like the hoody - I have a similar one, your clearly a trend setter like me 

Thank you!  Indeed we are!

I can't recall where I got this one from, maybe Sainsbury's lol. I must admit on my way to Majorca last year I stopped off in Liverpool to see a friend before my morning flight the next day and I had a rush of madness and purchased a similar Ralph Lauren one that cost arm and a leg... that one is only being worn once a year, too expensive to wear out in Belper :lol: 

55 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Thank you all. I have to go again today, once is never enough. A saying used to describe OCD compulsions, but also equally important in recovery... wish me luck :)

Thank you!  Indeed we are!

I can't recall where I got this one from, maybe Sainsbury's lol. I must admit on my way to Majorca last year I stopped off in Liverpool to see a friend before my morning flight the next day and I had a rush of madness and purchased a similar Ralph Lauren one that cost arm and a leg... that one is only being worn once a year, too expensive to wear out in Belper :lol: 

Perhaps the Ralph Lauren one will get an outing in the Northampton during conference weekend :)

Edited by taurean
1 hour ago, taurean said:

Perhaps the Ralph Lauren one will get an outing in the Northampton during conference weekend :)

Oh good idea, I might bring it if I remember. It's actually been packed away into my suitcase for next years holiday :lol:

2 hours ago, Gemma7 said:

Good luck Ashley, you can do this :)

Once is never enough when it comes to #OCD therapy behavioural work! Thank you to my colleague Sue for encouragement and the pic, I went a step further today, I placed my phone there, newly delivered boxes there.  I had spent last 7 month's avoiding floor. Anxiety Level (2/3 out of 10), so I go again tomorrow.

This is still only half way, other contaminated areas now need addressing, but this one had become urgent due to new colleague starting and I needed to get a new desk in there by end of next week.

EGl5nP5WsAE86Yn.jpg