OCD obsessions around car

Hi,

I am doing a lot better with my OCD thoughts, rituals and compulsions, however, recently I have got a bit stuck. 

My car has had its fair share of problems. The clutch was going and I noticed and got that replaced. Then there was a recall on the car so I got the repairs done ASAP.

I took the car to Halfords and they replaced the wind screen wipers but said the engine, battery, oil were all excellent.

Everything is going fine and then my car started squeaking. I took it to a garage and they said it's nothing major, then I took it to the official garage for something else and they didn't pick up on it when they did a drive around to check the other issue they had fixed. 

The squeaking became worse so I took it to a very good, highly reputable garage and they said there were multiple problems with the brakes. Issue fixed.

Now I'm worrying I've been driving around in an unsafe car. But I feel like I took as many steps as possible to mitigate the problem.

I am now worrying about safety. The worst about my thoughts are that this could've been dangerous. I feel I need to take the car for two separate full enhanced services but this would cost £500 for both.

I'm all over the place on this one. I normally think, what's the worst that could happen? Well, we all know what could happen in this case!

Any advice appreciated! Safety is my number one priority.

Reality Check

Cars are complicated mechanical devices, built to cost.

They go wrong.

If you read the manual there are a list of things to check before driving.

The Highway Code  has one too, (I think)

At work we have a list we are supposed to sign before we drive.

When have you EVER seen anyone do these checks.....?

(Ok I’ll admit that this forum probably has got the people who do the checks, but even here we get relatively little talk about car stuff, which is odd when you think about  the potential for  OCD checking.)

The only thing most people worry about is if the car stops moving and doesn’t go “brmm brmm “.

If it’s making a funny noise they turn up the radio...

dont get me wrong I’m not recommending this approach, I’m just pointing out how a lot of people think about this.

Im not going to give you advice about the safety or not of your car, Because a) I haven’t seen it, and b) it’s getting into the realms of reassurance.

You have some choices to make;

Trust the tradesman/ business concerned to do the job properly get your car serviced (properly, not just an oil change) and MOTed once a year, keep an eye on general condition, get any rattles, squeeks or noises, looked at, and do the checks recommend in the manual, lights, tyres, oil, etc there is probably an acronym somewhere to remember them.

Do all your own maintenance work, this can be a rewarding hobby, and also a rabbit hole of expense and misery, you already know if you like this sort of thing.

(One of the things I hate about my OCD is it really interferes with me doing stuff like motorcycle maintenance, I’m at a place in life where I wanted to be restoring and enjoying old machinery and OCD has drained the joy from it.)

learn the basics of car mechanics so you can make an informed decision about the quality of work done. I reckon you ought to know how to deal with a puncture and fit a spare wheel even if you physically cant do it yourself, at least you know what should be done. Although just remember “a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing”.

Edited by Closed for repairs
22 minutes ago, Closed for repairs said:

Trust the tradesman/ business concerned to do the job properly get your car serviced (properly, not just an oil change) and MOTed once a year, then just do the checks recommend in the manual, lights, tyres, etc there is probably an acronym somewhere to remember them.

I meant  to add check the oil, and have any rattles squeaks or noises looked at, and keep an eye on the general condition.

But it took me so long to sign in again it wouldn’t let me edit.

Oh look at that it did let me edit it.....

sorry

bloody OCD. Can’t  even just make a post on a forum some times with out it poking me...

Edited by Closed for repairs
OCD
5 hours ago, Closed for repairs said:

I meant  to add check the oil, and have any rattles squeaks or noises looked at, and keep an eye on the general condition.

But it took me so long to sign in again it wouldn’t let me edit.

Oh look at that it did let me edit it.....

sorry

bloody OCD. Can’t  even just make a post on a forum some times with out it poking me...

Sorry about your OCD, huge hugs. Thank you. Means a lot. Seriously. I think just like anything a car will, as you said, make noises to indicate to you something is wrong or the lights will come on the dashboard. I have had the car looked at and the oil is great, battery is great, windscreen washer is fully topped up etc.

I have an emergency first aid kit in the car, warning triangle, high vis and blanket for the cold weather.

Safety is my number one priority and I think it's fair like everyone else to listen to the sounds and use that as information. I think that's a good idea about being realistic and that means a lot. :)