Control physical symptoms of anxiety tips

I did a presentation at work in frount of my bosses and professionals etc as an ocd suffer i went over and over practising my speech preparing. Did all the management of nerves stuff went into the room did breathing staying calming and focusing on the other talkers etc. Staying out of my own head. Was sweating but ignored that. Walked confidently to the frount faced the audience and felt my legs shaking i thought oh no people can notice. I cracked a joke and moved myself behind the podium and put all my energy into giving the speech. Which went really well. When i came off i started to ask orhers did they notice my shaky legs. Reassurance seeking they said no the didnt notice i was surprised i thought it was very obvious. I spent the rest of the day even though lots of people thought it was very good reassurance seeking and confessing. Ive speak two weeks researching how to control shaky legs etc. All ocd traits but i genuinely want to make sure my legs dont shake as i find the embarassing. I know breathing works and refocusing. Not sure about movement . Just looking tips on controlling anxious body during big speeches as it part of my work and important to me xx

First of all, congratulations on doing the presentation! It sounds like you handled the situation very well to get through the presentation at the time, and that you already know that reassurance seeking and confessing is an OCD trait.

I totally understand wanting to work on the physical symptoms too though, aside from OCD. I'm not a very confident public speaker and I'm working on that. Maybe some sort of yoga/visualisation exercise might help? Like working on poses that help you feel rooted to the ground when you're not presenting, and then being able to sort of channel that when you're presenting? A little like what you said about breathing and refocusing, maybe it would help you feel physically grounded? ?

Sounds like you should be giving us tips!

Public speaking is easily up there in the top things people are scared of, and it sounds like you nailed it.

Even leading actors get nervous, before performing.

However I can spot the OCD, when it rears its ugly head...

I doesn't matter if you are nervous, every one is, no one noticed your legs so you don't have to keep asking, you don't need any special tips to stop your legs it is not a big deal.

9 hours ago, ivybasil said:

First of all, congratulations on doing the presentation! It sounds like you handled the situation very well to get through the presentation at the time, and that you already know that reassurance seeking and confessing is an OCD trait.

I totally understand wanting to work on the physical symptoms too though, aside from OCD. I'm not a very confident public speaker and I'm working on that. Maybe some sort of yoga/visualisation exercise might help? Like working on poses that help you feel rooted to the ground when you're not presenting, and then being able to sort of channel that when you're presenting? A little like what you said about breathing and refocusing, maybe it would help you feel physically grounded? ?

Thank you so much for your reply you know how ocd focuses on what goes wrong and not the bigger picture. I will look into a grounding tecnique sounds like a great idea. Its the what ifs and doubt ocd creates but i will have to work on doing it and controllling my reaction. Best of luck to your working on your confidence with public speaking also xx

7 hours ago, Closed for repairs said:

Sounds like you should be giving us tips!

Public speaking is easily up there in the top things people are scared of, and it sounds like you nailed it.

Even leading actors get nervous, before performing.

However I can spot the OCD, when it rears its ugly head...

I doesn't matter if you are nervous, every one is, no one noticed your legs so you don't have to keep asking, you don't need any special tips to stop your legs it is not a big deal.

Thank you very much ive been working on it for work. i really dont understand how they didnt see they were def shaking. But nobody noticed. Ocd says oh but you stepped behind podium mayb nxt time etc theyll see. But your right researching reassurance seeking. Confessing all ocd traits and the importance sticks.this is the tough part of ocd for me i really need to refocus and not worry about next time xx thanks for you time very kind

3 hours ago, angels said:

i really dont understand how they didnt see they were def shaking. But nobody noticed.

We often overestimate how much people notice/care about ourselves, especially when we worry.  Very often people don't notice (because its not important or obvious to them) or simply don't care.  You felt your legs shaking, because if they are shaking YOU will feel it.  But what you perceived as noticeable is going to be very different because the audience can't feel what you feel, they can only see, and what we feel and what is visible are often significantly different.

I think the best thing you can do is try not to dwell on the leg shaking.  Since you asked multiple people and they said it wasn't even noticeable, let it go and move on, its likely that after a time ro two you won't even notice if your legs are shaky anymore if you aren't focused on it.