Posted Letter Contamination.

Hello All,

I am currently off of work with mental illness. As everyone probably knows, the first 7 days in the UK are self-certificated, the rest of the time off requires doctors certificates. This is where my non-violent harm OCD takes over. I have so far sent in 2 certificates. The second of which was contaminated bodily fluids, well according to my OCD it was.

Now the certificate was checked and placed in the envelope. The envelope then had a stamp stuck to it and I walked over the road to the post it. As is my habit with everything I post, I checked it was sealed and the stamp was stuck down properly. Now my reason tells me I wouldn't have sent it if I had thought there was anything wrong with it. OCD can be such a bitch sometimes.

Hi O Neg

I had a similar thing the other day. I had to send some Word files to an organisation. I had to check to ensure that they were the correct ones before I sent them. And then wait for the replies. The replies were edits of the contents of the files. I was reassured by the replies that I had sent the right files; and not something ‘contaminated’ by including personal information. I also do similar things to you when posting a letter.

Don’t they call what used to be called ‘sick’ notes ‘fit notes’ or something similar now? We live in a bizarre terminological universe these days.

Edited by Angst

Well I sure the details vary, but there can’t be many of us on here who don’t get a bit , twitchy when doing “point of no return” stuff.

The feeling as your letter drops Ito the hungry mouth of the post box, out of your control,,

Sealing your fate by pressing send on an email,

The computer  asks  if you are “sure” you want to delete something.

Climbing into a dumpster to retrieve a  paper hankie that you really need to have a look at, ( think that’s just me).

our sick notes just have a code these days....

Thanks Angst and Closed for Repairs. In these enlightened days, sick and fit notes are medical certificates, but I am old enough to remember the terms. I can also remember when calculating holiday 2 weeks sick was taken into account because some workers took it as leave. Sick Leave was changed to Sick Absence.

Yes there is something final in a letter going into a post box or hitting the send button. But in my case, whats the worst that can happen? they get a contaminated smelly letter at the other end! Its not life and death is it?

O Neg, it's certainly useful to vent, but I think posting too readily about every random spike can be counter productive. Why? Because in itself it seems to imply or attribute some (at least vague) kind of 'importance' to the obsession.