Hi everyone, this may seem a daft question but here goes, how do you get some confidence back and believe in your self. My contamination OCD has been terrible this week. I feel a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach.will I ever feel (normal) again and start to enjoying my life again. I’m scared of my own shadow at the moment. Thanks xx❤️❤️

Hey Madchoc,

I know how terrible this feels! You absolutely can feel normal again, but it takes a lot of baby steps to get there. You need to start taking some steps to challenging your OCD. You did so well the other week by not washing your shower after your husband got the plants taken out. You need to do more of this xx

Hi everyone, I have been having a drink ( alcohol) to give me more confidence, but I’ve been more anxious. I read that drinking with Paroxitine can stop it working. Has anyone else had this happen ? Thanks xx❤️

Hiya,

Mixing the two isn’t really the way to go. I completely understand why you were tempted to give it a try tho,’ many many members of the community have done the same over the years. You get to the point where all you want is for something to shift in your favour don’t you, but drinking even without meds in the equation always tends to end in tears because it’ll only ever mask the problem. 

The best way to get your confidence back is going with Malina’s advice....slow and steady always wins the race when it comes to beating OCD. Just holding off carrying out any compulsion for a minute is a triumph, then two, 10...an hour, and gradually you’ll get to where you want to be again.

Something that also really helped me in the past was taking up something new I wanted to do but was daunted by as a challenge. I joined a local running group to help with motivation as much as anything, but a happy side effect was feeling a sense of achievement I’d faced something I was anxious about but did it.

In a way that’s actually helped me when I’m having a wobble facing an OCD challenge....I can remind myself I’ve been able to overcome the anxiety before in one context I can do it again.

Have you had any help with drawing up a list of exposures?