Book / Support Recommendations

Having been dealing with our now 15 year old daughter who has presented with symptoms of OCD we were leant a book (via the Dr's surgery) 

'What to Do When Your Brain Gets Stuck' Dawn Huebner, Ph.D

The Dr told us it wasn't really age appropriate but we as a family (particularly my 11 year old son) have found it very helpful and think it's a great resource for those struggling with younger children with OCD. It is written very well and presents very clear, concise explanations to help your child understand and process what they are going through.

We are also finding 'Breaking Free from OCD'  by Jo Derisley, Isobel Heyman, Sarah Robinson and Cynthia Turner to be a fantastic book. Definitely worth a read if you or a family member / friend is struggling with OCD.

Does anyone else have any other recommendations?

1 minute ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

Hi Vicky

Pulling the Trigger by Adam Shaw is a good one :) 

Also have you heard of Brain Lock? it's a good add-on/intro I think for people waiting for CBT or just getting started.

Hi @gingerbreadgirl thanks for the recommendations - will have a look! 

I like both:

• 'the Mindfulness Workbook for OCD: overcoming OCD using Mindfulness and CBT'
  • 'Everyday Mindfulness for OCD'

Both are by Jon Hershfield and include both CBT methods and a bit of mindfulness and relaxation. I've found both to be very helpful, clear, and have practical exercises and tasks to do. ? I really like some of the analogies the books make and help me think about my OCD thoughts a little differently to gain a bit more perspective when I'm struggling! The second one has some good tasks to help you relax, while accepting that it can be difficult for an OCD brain to do, and offering guidance on dealing with that! 

I've been meaning to read 'Breaking Free from OCD', I'll definitely have a look at that one! ?

Hi my daughter is now 19 but at the age of 10 she was diagnosed with OCD, her father has OCD too. 

I don't know about your full story if you daughter has had CBT or seen a psychologist or is on meds 

I got help and after a year of session from CAMHS my daughter was doing so much better, she still has anxiety and depression off and on, but she is an amazing young woman working full time with a lovely boyfriend who knows all about her mental health struggles and is there for her 

There is light at the end of the tunnel once proper help is in place - as for books any of the books on the site are really good 

On 01/12/2019 at 18:45, Mel1971 said:

Hi my daughter is now 19 but at the age of 10 she was diagnosed with OCD, her father has OCD too. 

I don't know about your full story if you daughter has had CBT or seen a psychologist or is on meds 

I got help and after a year of session from CAMHS my daughter was doing so much better, she still has anxiety and depression off and on, but she is an amazing young woman working full time with a lovely boyfriend who knows all about her mental health struggles and is there for her 

There is light at the end of the tunnel once proper help is in place - as for books any of the books on the site are really good 

Hi @Mel1971 thank you for your lovely comments - it is certainly reassuring to know that there can be a light at the end of the tunnel- we have been waiting on an appointment to see CAMHS for over 5 weeks now so nothing has really been put in place to help my daughter yet. It is proving to be a very stressful time but we will hopefully hear something soon.