I have to contamination ocd around threadworms. Just been at a meeting with my baby where someone had come straight from helping at an overnight homeless shelter. They asked to hold the baby and after a slight hesitation I said yes. I am now freaking out they had worm eggs all over them and the baby is covered. He’s already put his hands in his mouth (after holding this persons hand) so I guess in some ways the horse has bolted so to speak. But my ocd is on hyper alert and wants me to bath the baby and change our clothes when we get in. Does anyone else see this danger or is it ocd?

A similar afternoon here but with a different contamination fear ☹️

No advice but I one hundred percent empathise. 

One day I just want to not notice these things but I can't see how I will ever get there from here! 

28 minutes ago, Lollipop said:

A similar afternoon here but with a different contamination fear ☹️

No advice but I one hundred percent empathise. 

One day I just want to not notice these things but I can't see how I will ever get there from here! 

Maybe you share what you would have done in my situation and I’d share what I’d do in yours and that’s how we should respond ?

Ok so tell me how to respond to this:

12 days ago at our toddler group I saw a boy out his hands down his underwear and touch his bottom. I then watched him touch some of the chairs. 

today I have to go back there with my kids who will sit/climb/touch the chairs then come home and sit on my sofa. 

I want to get us all changed and wash hands when we come in, before any potential contamination is all over my house. Is this rational to others or is this an non-event my ocd is over reacting to?

I think you already know the answer to this question ?

I used to suffer with contamination theme so totally empathise with your situation. Looking back I now realise how ridiculous my thinking was but I totally understand in the here and now how OCD has you believe how everything is true whilst also catastropsisng the whole situation. This is true for any "theme".

We have to work hard at challenging what "it" is trying to convince us of and in order to do that we have to not ruminate, not to do compulsions to make us feel better until we get that thought of "but this, but that". Just sit with the thought and do nothing. Yes you will feel anxious, but in time that will fade. 

This is the only way in which to overcome this "thing". Don't give in to it, show it you are the stronger one xx

2 hours ago, Lisa davis said:

I think you already know the answer to this question ?

I used to suffer with contamination theme so totally empathise with your situation. Looking back I now realise how ridiculous my thinking was but I totally understand in the here and now how OCD has you believe how everything is true whilst also catastropsisng the whole situation. This is true for any "theme".

We have to work hard at challenging what "it" is trying to convince us of and in order to do that we have to not ruminate, not to do compulsions to make us feel better until we get that thought of "but this, but that". Just sit with the thought and do nothing. Yes you will feel anxious, but in time that will fade. 

This is the only way in which to overcome this "thing". Don't give in to it, show it you are the stronger one xx

Thanks

Daft thing is I expect you know more about threadworms than any one else on here, I got as far as the NHS page on them, ( I had to look, ok) and went oh itchy bum, a bit yuk, take a pill.

You already know how worried you ought to be about this. (Not very much).

(That first bit sounds awful, I only mean  expect you have looked up all the info.)

30 minutes ago, Closed for repairs said:

Daft thing is I expect you know more about threadworms than any one else on here, I got as far as the NHS page on them, ( I had to look, ok) and went oh itchy bum, a bit yuk, take a pill.

You already know how worried you ought to be about this. (Not very much).

(That first bit sounds awful, I only mean  expect you have looked up all the info.)

Of course I have! That’s rumination isn’t it? Google and think and torture yourself. Doesn’t take long until you find a story (probably exaggerated) if someone who struggled to get rid of them and the thousands of successful times people get rid of them are gone from your mind and so the obsessions begin. And every time we respond to the “threat” the brain learns it’s something to respond to and strengthens the obsession etc etc. 
Undoing months or years of that is hard, especially when stress and sleep deprivation are present. 

12 minutes ago, Hopingtorecover said:

Undoing months or years of that is hard, especially when stress and sleep deprivation are present. 

Don't get me wrong , I understand and sympathize.

I get myself in a massive state about things that really don't matter, and some things that do.  And the OCDemon (I stole that) is there screaming at me to do the compulsion.

Honestly, not very well,

Depends on the circumstances.

Friday afternoon is worst, I know I can't come in on Saturday to check stuff, and everyone is ****** off as they want to go home and I'm mucking about,

Monday mornings,  like today, 

Well I'm sitting looking at a large gear box  determined not to check the oil, as I did it Friday. Trying to live with the fact that until I look at the dipstick I can't be totally sure that it has enough oil.

It feels like holding my breath, sooner or later I'm going to look.

3 minutes ago, Closed for repairs said:

Honestly, not very well,

Depends on the circumstances.

Friday afternoon is worst, I know I can't come in on Saturday to check stuff, and everyone is ****** off as they want to go home and I'm mucking about,

Monday mornings,  like today, 

Well I'm sitting looking at a large gear box  determined not to check the oil, as I did it Friday. Trying to live with the fact that until I look at the dipstick I can't be totally sure that it has enough oil.

It feels like holding my breath, sooner or later I'm going to look.

Have you looked? What would happen if you didn’t?

14 minutes ago, Hopingtorecover said:

Have you looked? What would happen if you didn’t?

No I haven't looked, I've gone for lunch.

What would happen?

Well realistically, at the current rate of leakages, some time next week, the gearbox will start to overheat and then sometime next month, the gearbox will fail, various safety systems will have kicked in to prevent an accident, but we will  read to replace between 10 to 75 thousand pounds worth of parts.

The chances of this not being spotted are very small.

OCD says, 

All the oil will drain out over the floor , the gearbox will fail dramatically, the equipment it is driving will fail killing lots of people, probably a major fire.