Perfectionism OCD

Hi everyone, really struggling with my OCD at the moment. I feel like the only way I can be happy is by doing my OCD compulsions. I struggle with perfectionism and everything has been far from perfect at the moment! 

For example, I left my dishes in the sink for a couple of days and I feel I need to do my compulsions to cancel out the bad thoughts. I didn't wake up until 4pm the other day and I feel bad because that isn't pro-active. I am just consumed by guilt all the time. Also, my Mum has been irritating me a lot recently, (I know she's there to try and help and cares about me), but my sister which is roughly the same age as me, now has a fella and just gets away with doing nothing and seeing nobody and now I've been lumbered with doing everything and seeing everyone and helping out and I'm getting told off for not doing enough. Just struggling. Any thoughts or word of advice, or even some things that you do that are messy would be great. Thanks all.

So you don't do your dishes, stay in bed and your family wind you up....?

This is not uncommon.

And it is irrelevant, it's the fact that you are attaching too much importance to it that's causing you problems.

Having said that, if the compulsion to not doing the dishes for four days is to do the dishes, im not going to give you a get out of jail free card.

By the way your mum will always moan about that stuff, that's her job!

I'm nearly 50 and scared enough of my mum not to say how old she is, and she still nags  about this kind of thing.

(And I wouldn't have it any other way, cos I love my mum).

But if you want messy....

I few years ago me and a mate were trying to bleed a hydraulic system, we cracked open the wrong fitting and blasted 100 liters of oil all over the plant room, before we could shut it off. We were covered head to foot in oil and I had to go down to the office and tell them what had happened, dripping oil as I said "we have had a bit of a leak"

We even got oil on the ceiling, (old building double hight ceiling).

There is still some oil up there now that we can't get at, and it's a least 10 years ago .

2 hours ago, Handy said:

Perfectionism is also OCPD. Interesting it’s not been shown to be related to OCD 

Feeling the need for things to be "just right" or done "perfectly" is 100% something people with OCD can experience.  Its absolutely related to OCD.