Misuse of OCD - Same as others or worse?

With so much misuse of OCD It's hard to keep track of all. I generally adopt the thought that people/organisations generally get it wrong through a lack of understanding, rather than deliberate misuse. So where possible I try and engage away from the public spotlight and in most cases they hold hands up and apologise or promise not to make the same error again.

This was tweeted to the charity today and there's something about this one that I find really distasteful. I just wonder what other think?  

EKdyiJsXUAAJTWR.jpg

It's been deleted before I could take a screenshot, so luckily was on my PC still so took a photo the old fashioned way. 

Because I think most people who tweet this kind of thing - obsessive Christmas disorder or "I'm so ocd" and the like - are doing so thoughtlessly and carelessly but they're really just using a play on words and they're not really thinking about the implications. The fact that they tweeted the charities showed that they're fully aware of the implications and indeed even took advantage of them to stir up controversy. 

I am with GBG, this feels worse because they are clearly suggesting this is an OCD issue, without using those words.  They then made a point to suggest will need time off work, so it's almost like they're joking about it, but know that for many with OCD they do need time off work.  Then they have gone to great lengths to tag the OCD charities.

This feels partially researched, rather than off the cuff remark though misunderstanding. 

17 hours ago, Ashley said:

I am with GBG, this feels worse because they are clearly suggesting this is an OCD issue, without using those words.  They then made a point to suggest will need time off work, so it's almost like they're joking about it, but know that for many with OCD they do need time off work.  Then they have gone to great lengths to tag the OCD charities.

This feels partially researched, rather than off the cuff remark though misunderstanding. 

I agree. 

It's taken me a bit of time to try and articulate what I think about this, so I hope what I write makes sense! It reads to me like a misjudged joke towards a colleague? 

Occasionally at work, with close friends who know about my OCD, we can have a little joke about it occasionally. I once failed to cope really rather spectacularly with a contamination issue at work, but was able to laugh about it once I'd calmed down, with the people I trusted to know how serious the condition can really be. It's more of a way of moving on from the situation and breaking the slight awkwardness of what happened for everyone - me included. I could say 'I'll try this again, without the tears? ?' and a friend might join in with a light-hearted celebration when I manage it next time or something. But it's important that these people do actually understand, I suppose? And I trust that those jokes are made with me and not at my expense, and never in public on twitter, and the same is true of what I would say and do for them. 

This reads like some sort of joke, aimed specifically at someone they know will read it? Misjudged and doesn't translate well out of the sort of context I've experienced above. It feels like an attempted wind up, hoping they could pass it off as 'awareness' by tagging the charities. It's definitely in poor taste and does almost nothing to raise awareness or understanding about OCD.