Question about SSRIs

Hi all

I know medication is different for everyone and this is more a general question out of interest than anything.

Has anyone who has taken an SSRI experienced a kind of flattening of their emotions, like a reduction in peaks and troughs, or a loss of motivation/enthusiasm for things? 

Have you experienced a reduced ability to concentrate or focus?

And has anyone who has stopped taking an SSRI experienced an improvement in these things? 

Not asking for advice just out of general interest thanks :) 

Edited by gingerbreadgirl
2 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

Hi all

I know medication is different for everyone and this is more a general question out of interest than anything.

Has anyone who has taken an SSRI experienced a kind of flattening of their emotions, like a reduction in peaks and troughs, or a loss of motivation/enthusiasm for things? 

Have you experienced a reduced ability to concentrate or focus?

And has anyone who has stopped taking an SSRI experienced an improvement in these things? 

Not asking for advice just out of general interest thanks :) 

I noticed a dulling of emotions which thenCause me to analyse why I’m such a cold person. I don’t enjoy what I used to enjoy and I don’t have patience for things like I used to. For example reading, planning or watching films and tv. I have cried a handful of times in 3 years too. 
plus I don’t have an off switch with food ?

9 minutes ago, Storm said:

I noticed a dulling of emotions which thenCause me to analyse why I’m such a cold person. I don’t enjoy what I used to enjoy and I don’t have patience for things like I used to. For example reading, planning or watching films and tv. I have cried a handful of times in 3 years too. 
plus I don’t have an off switch with food ?

Thanks storm. I'm sorry to hear you've experienced this. It can be a double edged sword can't it. 

How are you today? X 

I'm on a combo of an SSRI and antipsychotic. Together they really have an effect on emotions.

Pre-meds, my emotions were all over the place. I was disgnosed with OCD, with its high anxiety, and major depression, with its crushing lows. 

Meds have flattened things out. I never get anxious nor depressed. So much so that it became a concern and I had the doctor tweak my meds so I had a little more emotion.

Strangely, happiness for me was never affected. I feel happy a lot.

I gound that pre-meds I couldn't concentrate at all. Now I can concentrate very well. I took up my love of reading and I read a lot now.

I am on day 10 of 50mg Sertraline. Before taking the medication I was very tearful all the time but during the 10 days I've not really been able to cry. Emotion feels quite flat, not happy or sad, just 'there', feel like I am just waiting for each day to end although thankful I'm not in tears every day anymore. Anxiety is still there most times but I guess it's early days yet. 

Also I was on Sertraline a while back and experienced the same. I came off them and all symptoms went away after a week or two, including emotionless response to things.

Edited by Headwreck
Guest dimmerswitch

I switched to Sertraline a couple of years ago after being on Venlafaxine for years. Light and day for for me. Sertraline has far less noticeable negative side effects.

Hope this helps GBG?

53 minutes ago, dimmerswitch said:

I switched to Sertraline a couple of years ago after being on Venlafaxine for years. Light and day for for me. Sertraline has far less noticeable negative side effects.

Hope this helps GBG?

How long did it take til it made a difference? What difference do you feel it makes for ocd?

Guest dimmerswitch

I felt better very quickly. I tried to reduce/stop the Venlafaxine, and the side effects were horrible. Once on Sertraline I felt much better. I feel it works as it reduces anxiety, which leads to worry which leads to the OCD bully grabbing hold.

This is my own personal experience of both medications.

OCD can’t be cured with medication. The medication can help with anxiety and depression which can support with coping with OCD.