Vitamin d and sad

Nearly every year as the nights draw in and i think i may actually enjoy a xmas i get dragged back down.

Im not saying its a cure but ive read a paper on vitamin d and children with ocd and there seems to be a connection,how small im not sure,has anyone noticed any lessen in anxiety with the help of vitamin b.

Thanks

I take a vitamin D supplement, but only because I was very low on it a few years ago and my GP recommended taking it. It helped my immune system a lot but not anxiety. I suppose that if something improves your overall wellbeing, it can improve your mood. If I was getting sick a lot like I used to or if I was low on energy, the anxiety and my mood would probably be worse. 

Although I should say that I've never really suffered from SAD, so I'm not sure if vitamin D helps with that. 

I think that supplements are like anything else - making sure that you have good nutrition is like making sure that you get enough sleep or that you drink enough water or whatever. They may improve your overall physical state, which contributes to your mental state. However, they don't cure the anxiety and you have to work on your thinking and behaviour to make sure that you don't sink down that hole again. 

I empathise with you, Christmas can be a hard time because you truly want to enjoy it and the disappointment of being anxious can make it worse. I also think that there is something related to the "anniversary" of having your problems that makes it come at the same time of year. I had a really bad time and got diagnosed with OCD in autumn 2007, and every autumn since I have felt uneasy. My relapse started last autumn at almost the same time of year that I got diagnosed. There are just so many reminders, I can never look at fallen leaves or smell cinnamon without feeling slightly anxious. 

Edited by malina

Hi bt

I often struggle in the winter and the short days have a big effect on me. I take vitamin d and use a light box. Who knows how much difference they make. 

However and I don't want to keep banging this drum but alcohol does have a huge effect on mood and I know you have said you have an issue with drinking, and like most people this is probably more pronounced at Christmas...

10 hours ago, Handy said:

It depends if getting Vit D in a bottle is the same as getting it from the source. Some research says it’s not the same. 

Vit D supplement plus SAD lamp work fine for me on lifting mood (other than OCD secondary depression when episodic with OCD). 

Edited by taurean
Guest OCDhavenobrain

Yes Vitamin D helps me. I get tired everytime the darker seasons come and then I also get depressed in the winter. I feel a difference when I take vitamin D.